Smallmouth Destination Help

Tucker733

Tucker733

My buddies and I are looking for a place to take my drift boat (Ro Skiff) for smallmouth. We typically float the north branch or upper Potomac for bass but are looking some where to travel to and give a try. Does anyone have any rivers or river sections they'd recommend for my boat? MD,WV,VA,PA?

We wouldn't mind a couple hours drive or having to grab a hotel room, just looking for some new water to experience.

The lower Potomac below Hancock down to around Leesburg includes several sections I like for smallies and that can be floated; lower Shenandoah River.

I'd also recommend to take a drive up to the Juniata River, which is very similar in size and structure to the Potomac - not sure the drive time from where you are but likely a couple hours, maybe three. The Raystown Branch can also be floated, but it's somewhat skinny water for a driftboat but I would think doable. Also, consider the lower Yough below Connellsburg.

Perhaps you could explore the Susquehanna In central Pa between Sunbury and Harrisburg however the smallmouth bite has been less than I’ve seen it the past few years. Disappointing for me and my fishing pals.
Various Pa Fish Commission Launches on the west side of the river that I believe you can identify from the Fish Commission website. Also, those areas of the river are getting quite low so you may be drifting and wading.

id suggest listening to some of the orvis fishing podcasts....they have a couple of good ones on small mouth fishing. if i recall correctly, new river and james river in va sounded like a lot of fun. if you want something closer the juniata river in pa...size isnt great but you can definitely get numbers.

Floated 4 times in the last week. Juniata is probably too skinny for a hard boat. You might be able to make it down but you're going to hit A LOT of stuff if you aren't familiar with the area you are floating.

Floated between Sunbury and Harrisburg yesterday and today. This is also thin but passable with a few scrapes or walking around ridges. Water was very clear and not boiling hot. PAINFULLY SLOW during the day. Spooked two - three really big bass and spotted channel cats roaming around.

Just my 2 cents

krayfish2 wrote:
Floated 4 times in the last week. Juniata is probably too skinny for a hard boat. You might be able to make it down but you're going to hit A LOT of stuff if you aren't familiar with the area you are floating.

Floated between Sunbury and Harrisburg yesterday and today. This is also thin but passable with a few scrapes or walking around ridges. Water was very clear and not boiling hot. PAINFULLY SLOW during the day. Spooked two - three really big bass and spotted channel cats roaming around.

Just my 2 cents

To the OP, both the New and James Rivers in VA would be great SMB destinations and should be on your bucket list of rivers to fish, especially given your MD home base.

The Susky SMB fishing has started off rather slow for most anglers. From experience, this is not unusual. The best fishing usually happens later in the summer and into the fall. Hopefully it will happen that way this season on the Susky. Keep on trying.

Nothing to add for OP that hasn't been offered..... though curious if the Susky has improved at all with the past few weeks of generous heat.....Andy, any feedback?

Back