Smallie coloration

P

pwk5017

This one certainly wasnt the best of the day, but I think his markings were my favorite. After my 3rd-4th fish that were completely different, I began to wonder, "why is there such a genetic difference in this bass species?". I caught some that were incredibly dark with red eyes, some that were light, some with tiger markings etc. Personally, I prefer the tiger markings. I feel it fits the personality of the fish so well-- it is the mike tyson of the bass family. In all my years of fishing for largemouth, they pretty much all look the same. Yeah, some are darker than others etc. but never distinctly different. Why does the smallmouth differ so much fish to fish?

Attachments

• IMG_0416.jpg
    IMG_0416.jpg
    515.7 KB · Views: 13
I've wondered the same thing too. SMBs do indeed have a wide and fascinating range of marking and coloration (although not as much as trout). Some is environment. The same bass, if moved from one location to another, can and often will gradually change to a lighter or darker tone. It's also been a very broad observation of mine that SMBs have most pronounced markings from about the time they hit the 12-14" range up until about the time they reach 17" or 18 inches, at which point they tend to darken and their tiger stripes seem to become less pronounced.
I love 'em.

I caught a 16 inch smallmouth out of the Perkiomen that was nearly black this year. One of the coolest fish I caught in a long time and one of the few times I wish I had a camera with me for a pic. Literally looked like the tail of your smallie. Nothing like the rest of the fish I pulled from the stream. Healthy fish and I bet it was at least 5 years old.

A black smallmouth would probably be a good looking fish. The dark ones are rare for me. I usually only catch one every 2-3 times on the water. I just think it is curious that I am fishing a half mile of stream and catching radically different looking smallies, that are really living in similar light, depth and types of water.

I think it is environmental, I know I have caught largemouth of differing shades out of the same lake/pond but the cover seems to determine the darkness.

I have caught white perch in the lower Susky that were very dark, threw them in a white 5 gallon bucket and 10 min later they were nearly translucent! These were 3-4 inchers that i would give to the rock-fisherman for bait, not sure if it works with larger fish.

I notice the smallies in Codorus Creek, downstreanm from Lake Williams discharge, where the water tends to be darker, those fish are darker, then upstream from the discharge.

I think you should apply for a grant and do some experiments!

sweet picture btw...

I've also noticed smallies having different patterns from different places. This monster I caught 2 years ago was just an awesome fish. Had some pretty unique markings on her.

Attachments

• best fish to date resize.JPG
    best fish to date resize.JPG
    813.6 KB · Views: 3
Wow that is a beast.

Thats a monster!!!

I had experience with this a few years ago steelheading in Conneaut Creek in Ohio. I caught 2 bass in the same hole. One was dark, kinda like the one in the first post, and the other was really light. The two extremes in the same exact spot. But I asume the darker one, which was around 18 inches, came right out of Lake Erie and it was getting ready to spawn. The light one was around 11 inches and and might not have changed to spawning colors yet.

Back