Sinking lines for the Susky/Juniata river

jkilroy

jkilroy

Just wondering what everyone is using for sink lines for fishing the susky/ Juniata rivers? I have been told a type 3 is best. This would be fishing clousers, weighted sculpin patterns, and other streamers. I could see were it would work most the time except in cases when there is deeper water.

Will you be primarily wading, boat fishing using a stripping basket ? The reason I ask is because wading with a full sinking line with some current can be a pain especially in rocky waters since your line will sink and get caught on the rocks allot. If you plan on wadding I would go with a sink tip style line with a floating running line on it .

I have heavy sink, type 5 or 6 sink tips, int and floating. I fish buoyant- neutrally buoyant flies on a sinking line. It helps prevent snags and it's a better action. Clousers are made to be fished on a line that is pulling it from above to give it the jigging action, so floating or int lines are best.

At normal summer flows I don't see much of a need for a sinking line as you can fish a heavy clouser on int line down to probably 15 feet, which will cover most spots on the river. i mostly use the sinking lines in higher water.

Fredrick wrote:
Will you be primarily wading, boat fishing using a stripping basket ? The reason I ask is because wading with a full sinking line with some current can be a pain especially in rocky waters since your line will sink and get caught on the rocks allot. If you plan on wadding I would go with a sink tip style line with a floating running line on it .

This.

For the Susky and many other local WW streams, creeks, and rivers, a sink tip line is more than sufficient.

On my 8wt Rivermaster I use floating 9wt in low water and 8wt 10' intermediate clear sink tip in higher stained water and I've had great results.

I will be wading and fishing from a boat.

Not sure which sections you fish but a weighted fly on floating line gets the job done in the shallows and up to maybe 6' of water. Unless you are dredging very deep pools of fishing high water, I'd steer clear of a full sink. To get it down in faster water or deeper runs, a sink tip is sufficient. I'd think a 7wt with a 10-12' sink tip, type 6 will get you to the bottom very quickly. Hell, you can even go with a 7' poly leader for salmon. That would go e you the option to remove your sinking section if it's causing you to snag up a lot.

First choice for me when wading and most times from a boat would be floating line / weighted fly.

Yeah, that's what I thought. Sink tip with type 3 or 6, thanks!

When I float Ill use a 250 grain sink tip for higher flows and deep spots. This is one the main stem or the n branch of the susky. I don't usually fish one wading just put on a heavier fly

Back