Shad on the Brodhead

Nymph-wristed

Nymph-wristed

This might be one for Mike. I fished the Brodhead a few miles from the river on Sunday and talked to a guy who asked me to identify a fish on his stringer. Without a doubt it was a roe American Shad , probably over 5 pounds. Wrong turn in the high water of last month or was there a historical of a run on the creek? I have fished the creek in the gorge all the way down to the mill since the late 80s and have not hooked one myself or remember seeing one before. Just curious. Thanks, fellas>

I recalled something I saw posted here about a fish someone didn't expect to catch in the brodhead. After searching for a few minutes I remembered it was a striper not a shad.

I did manage to come across this thread though
http://www.paflyfish.com/forums/Open-Forums/Fly-Fishing-Locations/The-Gorge/30,32821,compact.html
which mentions browns feeding on smaller shad.

Yes, I have seen striped bass on the lower end. Thanks for the link too!

Yo Nym

years ago I was ffishing below the plant and saw a number of 5-7 lb shad.

Thanks, Les. Same general area for this one.

I've caught shad even further up on the Bhead than the paper mill. Where McMichaels meets the Bhead is a great place for shad. Creekview Park as well.

Even heard reports of a linesider being caught a few miles above Analomink.

Awesome, Millser. Makes sense with the flows in the spring and no dams. I think this group of guys were fishing right below the trib you mentioned. Good to know. Not that I am going to target them!

Can shad and striper get up the dam below Glen Park? And also the dam at the water company by Mill Creek Road? The second one seems really unlikely, but both would take some pretty astounding jumps.

Historical runs up every stream. Even had them here on the pine Creek.

hooker-of-men wrote:
Can shad and striper get up the dam below Glen Park? And also the dam at the water company by Mill Creek Road? The second one seems really unlikely, but both would take some pretty astounding jumps.

They obviously get above Glen Park, but yeah it would have to be running really high for them to get up to Anolomink!

In my mind the Glen Park dam was similar size to the one upstream (4-5 feet?). I guess I'm remembering it wrong; I haven't been down there in a year or so.

The shad run up there sometimes. Its not a historically huge run. When the water is up, they will come.

Back