Shad fishing

A

addictedangler

Anyone else like to fish for shad? It will be starting soon. I fish the Delaware, Dear creek, and the Rappahannock. How about some others and any new fly patterns?

I fish the susquehanna, below conowingo dam, for shad. They are a great sportfish on the fly rod and i like the history of the shad species. If you want to read an interesting book on shad look for "the founding fish" by john mcphee.
I try to keep it simple with flies because you lose a lot and frankly i don't think flies matter much. I just tie flashy unweighted wooly buggers sans hackle with estaz bodies in lots of bright colors. I usually drop a small clouser off a tag of tippet, trailed with the bright psuedo bugger, and fish it on the swing with small twitches. When you get on a good run you can get a lot of doubles with two flies.

Icy, if you don't weight your flies, do you use a sinking line or shooting head?

Gencon

Yes i use full sinking lines or sink tips, sometimes even floating lines, depending on water levels. I just got a shooting head setup in the fall that i plan on using, but haven't tried it out down there yet and my casting with it is pretty crappy so far. The water levels fluctuate rapidly because it's right below a dam, so i usually end up changing a few times every trip. The clouser in the front helps keep it down a little, probably about as much as a split shot.

im gonna try to get some on the fly this year. I catch a binch in the Schuylkill. its actually once of my favorite fish to go for. not much casting room in the spot so I need to find somewhere that's a little more fly fishing friendly. I say use a small clouser or rays fly in chartreuse. its worked for me and you also have a shot of some stripers to.

I enjoy behind Conowingo also. We have a fishing group that does a weekend trip in April every year there. It usually only takes one decent day and they (newbees) are hooked. It is a lot of fun. I usually use a 1/64 ounce dart with a shad fly behind it. This is the same weight as a tss bb shot so it cast fairly well on a 6 or 7 weight rod. Also adds a lot of wiggle to the rear fly. Hope this year has a good run.

I've been wanting to give shad a try as well this year. Gotta do some tying still.

Marc, let me know when you plan on getting out this spring. If the spot you're referring to is the one I think it is, I only live a few blocks away.

Here is my fly box and the quarry.

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 2
  • 033.jpg
    033.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 2
Incidental catches are also welcome.

Attachments

• 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 3
Not much of a shad guy here but I've had some luck with them. Several years ago I hit the hickory run on Deer Creek in MD and had a blast. Shad are a good fight.

I sight fish for them on the Delaware with a dry fly. Size 20 BWO is go to fly.

I only ever caught one on a dry Sulphur dun,thought it was a trout. Is dry flys a constant way to catch them for you? I enjoy sight fishing copper Johns for them but would give up a lot for constant dry fly action.

Lol no, but when you are floating down the Upper Delaware and you have a crap load of them rising and surfacing, with no trout showing interest. You fish for what is kinda eating.

Becker,we have a camp on the river at long Eddy and I enjoy it there. The shad runs at camp have been world class the last few years. I used to go for the trout but look forward to the daily shad fishing as much as waiting for the bugs to come of for the evening rise.

Water is still real cold. This time last year I was getting good action in the city. Usually the water is warmer by now but I just looked and the sckuke is 41. Needs get warm up soon. Hopefully they will be running around the beginning of may.

Talking about other fish caught while shad fishing. I've hooked large mouths and even got a hybrid that was like 10 pounds.

Got bored and broke out the bright stuff tonight...definitely wanna give these fish a shot this year.

8599719806_2c3168e9a0_z.jpg

You need Smith Optics sunglasses to even look at those for more than a few seconds. Nice job!

I've caught a few Gizzard Shad out of the Susky on the fly but no American Shad. Caught a ton of them down the Delaware Water Gap on spin gear as a kid.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 4
In about a week and they should be stacking up in the Delaware.

nice flies jay they should work good. one thing I've noticed about shad is I catch more Americans on a chartreuse then white and more hickory's on white. I prefer American just a bigger and stronger fish overall. The Delaware generally has more Americans in it.

Would anyone like to meet up for some shad fishing ?

Back