SURF WORTHY ROD ?

KeithS

KeithS

I ran across an older Cortland GRF1000 9 ' for 8/9 rod that I've had for a long time. I'm curious if it may be suitable for using in the surf. I'd probably use shooting heads and a running line with it.
Anyone have any experience with one in the salt?

Well.....I've always said "fish with whatcha got."

Being a bit more precise: it depends on what surf (where, time of year etc) that you plan to fish. An 8/9WT is ideal for summer or back bay fishing and tropical flats. I fish mostly the NJ shore in the late autumn months and it is on the light side for this game where you're punching big flies in wind and heavy surf. Jetty work is even tougher - and for these applications you want a 10WT most of the time. However, months like June or Sept can fish very well along the NJ shore or New England and the conditions usually aren't as rough and lighter gear is a better match. So yeah, in the meantime, fish it in the surf. I've always like Cortland GRF rods - they're cheap and tough and take a beating.

I think a 10 and higher is the best wt for the surf. I know people will argue but a 8 dosent cut it in most cases. like fishidiot said it good for back bays and on a nice day but the ten is going to get you more distance. wind change quite often and a 10 to 15 mph will kill your cast. distance is everything of the beach. even a 20 inch striper feels good on a 10 wt.

I had a 9/10 Cortland GRF and broke it got a 10wt procast returned. I wish I anything good to say about both but were gutless. They were like midflex 10s. If you gonna fish a 400grn shooting head get a new rod or a 300 or 350 head. They dont have the punch for a 400.

On a calm day, can I expect to cast into the wash where the baitfish are? We're usually only talking 30 or 40 feet, right?

KeithS wrote:
On a calm day, can I expect to cast into the wash where the baitfish are? We're usually only talking 30 or 40 feet, right?

Right.
Often, if the fish are truly in "the wash" you're not even casting that far - the fish are right at your feet in the suds.
I've even had days where I was standing in the wash with waves flowing back out into the surf and feeding stripers and blues were further up the beach than where I was standing in water just inches deep and their dorsals were protruding as they chased bait. Just keep in mind, days like this are very rare and are the stuff dreams and videos are made of. In reality, most days the fish are out under the breakers out of sight (if they're around at all) and you will be blind casting with wind.

A guide in Jersey told me once if i go out with him i will have to make case around 50 feet at the minimal. we were also using a boat and in the bay. it wasn't hard but you need to know haw to double haul. A stiffer rod with a little more back bone helps a lot.

those opportunities where bait is at your feet are rare. that's one reason why most spin fisherman out fish the fly guys. they can cast beyond that first bar. there will defiantly going to be fish in the wash but not as many as out further.

what fish are you targeting? Where do you plan on fishing?

no need to get expensive gear for the salt unless your planning on fishing for ablies which a reel if the most important thing you need. id say get a rod in the 150 to 200 dollar range. i was thinking about buying an echo ion or edge a while back they look solid and have a life time warranty. from my experiences if you buy a rod above 200 and it breaks the company are good about replacing it.

I can't say enuff about the echo ion 10's they are a beast. I was throwing a 12 wt intermediate on it. The warranty is hard to beat 40$ get a complete replacement. It's stiffer than hell. And the blanks are tuffet than nails. Look at rejefffs echo 10 youtube break test. They had to use a fork lift to break it at a 90deg angle.

Thanks.

keith I could point you in the direction of some water that you could use that rod for if you want put you feet in the sand with a fly. just shoot me a pm and id be glade to give you some spots.

marc

I'm with Fishidiot... use what you have. My first heavier set up was an 8wt Sci Angler combo I bought at Wally World in Kitty Hawk. It came with a graphite large arbor reel, line, leader, and a few saltwater flies.
The combo was nothing to write home about but it did the job for many years and held up better than expected. I now use a Scott S3S 8wt and 10wt and Ross BG Canyons.

Thanks, JR

Back