PFBC survey Muskies in Marsh, Blue Marsh & Nockamixon

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
http://fishandboat.com/images/reports/2016bio/6x09_19marshCkLkBlueMarshLkNockamixonLk.pdf

Didn't know there were fish in blue marsh at all anymore. Seems like it's all moter oil.

These studies of muskies and tiger muskies in SEPA continue to produce interesting results.

Of particular note is the poor growth rate of tigers in Nockamixon and their blow out by purebreds. The PFBC has acknowledged this by dropping (at least for now) the Nock tiger program. Curiously, in the past, if my memory serves me right, it was tigers that thrived here and purebreds failed.
Now, it's in reverse. Hhmmm...(scratching head)

Broadly speaking, more evidence for the efficacy of stocking advanced fingerling or yearling purbreds over tiger fingerlings seems to be growing. The dropping of the Nock tiger program suggests PFBC recognition of this growing evidence.

Jessed wrote:
Didn't know there were fish in blue marsh at all anymore. Seems like it's all moter oil.

Human fecal matter and farm waste too. :roll:

I've seen pike or musky in the skuke by me just never had a fishing rod with me when I saw them.

Although fishing is closed, Springton dam in Delaware county is so bad it's smell is horrid. I don't know how the residents around it can stand it. It was never like this until 7-8 years ago, prior to that it was nice and clear. Considering it's a source for drinking water, it's odd nothing has been done to try and resolve this. I guess it's runoff and hoards of geese that need to be thinned out.

Does any state or other department have responsibility for leading such an effort?

Blue Marsh provides excellent fishing for most of the year if you are a multi-species angler. The summer is probably the worst, yet that is probably when most people fish. It is a matter of technique and good timing is part of technique.

Back