Ocean City, MD

sniperfreak223

sniperfreak223

Going to Ocean city for vacation this year and looking to do some fishing, anyone familiar with the area? Where's the best place to start and what flies would y'all recommend?

I have fished there in the early fall a few times, there always seems to be some Bluefish in the surf, casting any good bait imitation will do or top water pencil poppers, of course casting a surf conditions will dictate when you can cast into the surf.

You may also want to try the inlet at OC and the Indian River Inlet in Delaware. both can hold all kinds of fish and each can vary with each incoming tide. I have caught Blues at each.

I'm sure there are lots of opportunities in Assawoman Bay but I have no experience there, hopefully someone else will sound in.

Sniper,
If you look down a thread or two, there's a recent report by PSUfishmenace on a trip to Chincoteague which is near OC Maryland (a bit south). There's some good info on fish and flies - check it out if you haven't already.

two hours after high tide at Indian River Inlet this time of year means big shad and snapper blues going crazy. You will probably need to cast a big spoon with spinning tackle to reach the rip where they feed. Last time I was there the near edge of the rip set up at the edge of my casting range. I caught 14-16" shad immediately on every cast that made it to the rip. If it landed in the eddy I wouldn't even get a strike. Shad put up a great fight!

Tie a snapper blue imitation for doormat fluke. fish it on lead core or sink tip line with a 2'-3' leader so it swims just off of the bottom. good for those 4-10lb. fluke along the beaches.

Attachments

• flies 024_thumb.JPG
    flies 024_thumb.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 5
I'm headed out there on Aug 20th. Here's the thread I posted a little while back with some good info.

thread

Back