North Myrtle Beach

GRP

GRP

Will be in North Myrtle Beach for family vacation mid June. Any tips or ideas for wetting a fly while there? I'm also looking into a charter boat so any rec's there would be appreciated. And a party boat to take the kids out on. Thanks in advance.

I think they have decent redfish fishing down there. My dad lives down there. I'll ask him to do some recon

GRP,

I haven't fish that area but I do fish the outer banks often. Here's a couple of ideas:

Be flexible. Bring fly rods and surf rods.

Find the bait fish and you will find bigger ones right behind.

Try to find a school of blue fish. You can catch blues on every cast if you can get to them.

The surf is full of big fish!

Tie some clouser minnows in combinations of chartreuse, white, orange and black.

Buy a copy of Joe Malat's surf fishing book. 45 page paperback

Rent a pontoon if you can find a bay or calm water. Kids and family love it!

Have fun.

One more time- lots of big fish in the surf.

Cheers,

I spent a lot of time in NMB growing up, and I can't tell you it's a fishing destination. The best fishing there has always been for bass in the bazillions of golf course ponds-beware the occasional undersized gator. Fishing from shore in the ocean generally sucks for anything other than sharks, blues, or croakers (also some saltwater catfish). There are redfish around, but you'd need to get some help to find them. There are probably some in Little River and House Creek, but I just don't know. If you are looking for big fish in NMB, I'd suggest sharking at night with bait.

Check out murrell’s Inlet, hour or south of myrtle beach. If you rent a kayak you can get to some good fishing. Near Huntington Beach state park.

Thanks for all the input everyone!

Back