NJ Salt Tomorrow

jay348

jay348

Hey everyone, I start my new job next Wed , so I've been hoping to make a few trips to the jersey shore to fish (including the jam) before I start.

After today's rain, would it still be worth hitting the shore tomorrow morning? Not worried about the rain itself; but if water clarity is an issue, i was wondering your thoughts were before I make the drive.

I'm looking to fish around brigantine unless I can find somewhere else under 1.5 hr away. Low tide is around 8:30, so im thinking near the channel. Any thoughts?

Sounds like a plan. From what I'm hearing, the current frontal system isn't likely to mess the surf up much. Just keep in mind that conditions can fluctuate a good bit up and down the coast. However, I'd bet you'll see decent conditions. Brigantine is a good location. If you give it a try....good luck and post a report.

good to know FI, I think i'm gonna go for it. out of curiosity, do you happen to know of any public parking? i've only been to brigantine once, but i forget what the beach access is like.

Jay it's going to be windy tomorrow so throw something with a little weight or some fly that can cut threw the wind like a surf candy, a thin slow sinking line helps a lot also . With this wind you want to do the fewest false cast you can so lay enough line on the water to load the rod and do a water haul with one back cast and shoot it out with a single haul, make sure you are wearing a wadding jacket and hat in case your fly gets blown into you. Good Luck

Jay,
It's been a long time since I've fished Brigantine. In the past, I just drove north up the main road to the dead end and walked up the beach from there. I'll never forget: my brother and I hit an epic bluefish blitz right at that spot in May 1990. Unbelievable! Fish in the 10-15lb class on every cast; they smashed our plugs (literally - thru wire construction helps) and we caught so many we quit fishing from sore arms.

Well, I expected to deal with some gusts, but the wind/sand assault was non-stop, and I could barely cast. Should have watched the weather closer...oh well. The water was rough but it still looked good. Just counting down until sat now.

dunes.jpg

dscn1032.jpg

dscn1033.jpg

Jay you should of headed to some area that was more protected . When you first start fishing the salt even if you don't catch any fish you learned from your time on the water and now you can take that knowledge and put it to work on your next outing . It took me 3 trips before i caught my first stiper

rough water = big stripers.

[color=0000FF]rough water = big stripers.
[/color]

I second that!! I keep in touch with the surf fly fishing, and this year was a little slow. Even up north, not as many as last year. The fall migration is just starting now..... Nov and Dec should be the best in the area you go.
But..... the small blues, about one to two pounds, are all over the place!!
Just downsize a little. You could have a blast with a 6wt and smaller flies?
If the wind is too strong, you should always pack a med action freshwater spin rod with some small metal, 1/4 to 3/4 oz shiny chrome. And some 1/4oz jigheads with some 3" soft plastic.
I love to fly fish the best, but sometimes you gotta pick up a spin rod to catch some fish!!

Back