Marburg Muskellunge Survey this past week

M

Mike

Eleven trap net sets produced one Tiger and 14 pure Muskellunge. From memory, either two or three were sub-legal; the rest were legal and ran up to 50 inches. Also had a 49 incher. Most legal size fish were 41-43 inch males. Fish were still spawning. The main lake from the Dam to Black Rock was the target area. Points were productive as well as nearly straight shorelines; coves or embayments were not. Abundance was very good based on new statewide standards in the Muskellunge Plan, which were developed from statewide lake data. The minimally acceptable catch rate for continued stocking and a targeted Muskellunge fishery is one Muskellunge or tiger for every four trap net sets. Sets last for about 18-24 hrs each.

I'm just curious, how do you trap a musky for these kind of surveys?

Beefheart wrote:

The PFBC places long nets with an opening in several places. The fish swin into the nets and are trapped. The nets are usually pulled up the next day (18-24 hourse as Mike pointed out). These nets catch other fish, basically anything that swims into them.

Great news to hear on Marburg - locals report excellent muskie fishing with big fish so these results are promising, but not entirely surprising. Incidentally, the males were very large in this batch. Not sure what to draw from that, but it's an interesting datum.

Couple questions Mike:

~ Will tigers be continued in Marburg?

~ Did you get any pike in the survey?

~ Any striped bass (or will there be future surveys for SB)?

Thanks!
DW

Did they get a weight on the 50" fish? I have a pic of it and it looks to be in the 40lb class.

Weight was 36 lbs.

Continuing Tigers: I need to think about that a little before deciding, but my leaning at the moment is no unless there is some compelling reason to do so. Anglers tell me that Tigers are caoght on occasion, but pures rule the catches.

Pike: One caught that was about 30-32 inches as I recall.

Stripers: None caught, but they may be way back in the coves at present, as is their typical behavior in SE Pa lakes in early April. They seek the abundant forage fish that move into those warmer areas in early spring. For example, the only net that had many gizzard Shad was at the entrance to the long cove at Black Rock. Striper stocking will continue for the near future at least while we watch and seek the anglers' reports.

I recommend fly fishing for their 9-13 inch cousins in the lake. White Perch are the action target at the moment as they are cruising the main lake shorelines by the hundreds at almost any featureless location. They are spawning. Good eating.

Dave_W wrote:
Beefheart wrote:

The PFBC places long nets with an opening in several places. The fish swin into the nets and are trapped. The nets are usually pulled up the next day (18-24 hourse as Mike pointed out). These nets catch other fish, basically anything that swims into them.

Just to add a little, the nets are basically placed as a cone. The fish swims into the net that funnels it down to where they swim into a basket and can't exit. Do a search on it they are neat to see and I think are better then electro surveys.

Great job and effort the fish commission is doing. Give them two thumbs up for their Muskie program.

Spot officially burnt.

Lol,

Jake

Back