Improvised Florida Keys Bonefish DIY day

elonDO

elonDO

Was in Key West for the past week on vacation. Was looking forward to scheduled day of guided flats fishing for tarpon, bonefish, and permit on Thursday. Unfortunately, due to bad storms in the area and lingering storms, we needed to cancel the trip. The guide did not have any availability for Friday, which was the last day of my trip.

Determined to get in some fishing, I did a quick Google search of some areas and was able to find a suitable spot, that also offered great access from the Lower Keys Shuttle run by the local bus service. The bus took twice as long to get to the fishing spot compared to if I would have had a car, but for $8 roundtrip it was well worth it. I could've used a cab, but that would've been $120 roundtrip.

When I approached the beach I was happy to see an expansive flat, right off the beach. No other fisherman in site. Unfortunately the skies were cloudy & visibility was limited most of the day. I have a few short bursts of sun that helped visibility significantly. I didn't see many fish, but had a few good shots at some bonefish. I missed a huge fish that snuck up on me due to the clouds. 2 casts and it was gone. Was able to land a beautiful bonefish late in the day. I was able to manage about 5-6 hours of fishing before calling it quits and having to catch the bus back down south to Key West.

I was quite happy to salvage a beautiful bonefish, especially with a late minute, improvised DIY experience. I had only fished for bonefish once before in the Bahamas, so it was exciting to catch one on my very own without a guide by my side.

Here are a few pics from the day. Enjoy!
DSCN1320_zpsb5wlg2n5.jpg

DSCN1323_zpsjbn1jy5w.jpg

DSCN1322_zpsmlfxndfw.jpg

DSCN1324_zpsxnhq1yjl.jpg

DSCN1326_zpstglmprhc.jpg

This is awesome! Congrats on making the most of it and on the DIY success!

A good day fishing is better that (insert other option here).

nice catch

well done!!!!As my dad would say:"where there's a will,there's a way"

very cool!

Nice job!
Catching bones in the Keys on fly gear is much tougher than the Bahamas and other tropical spots. And to do it on foot at the publicly accessible flats (which are usually pounded by anglers) is an even bigger achievement. True kudos.

Nice job! Finding spots to wade fish in the lower keys is difficult

Back