Florida Keys Winter Trip - 3 new species

BelAirSteve

BelAirSteve

The wife and I try to go somewhere warm in February, and for the last few years it has been the Keys. I normally do a party boat style fishing trip - catch some fish, take to restaurant, etc. This year, it was VERY calm while we were there so we bit the bullet and did a private near-shore charter.

We fished fly tackle and light spin tackle with bait. Had the opportunity to cast to some rolling tarpon, but it's still kind of early for that, and I didn't get any takers.

We moved off-shore just a bit, over a wreck, and I caught about 15 Spanish mackerel, the smaller Jack Crevalle and a junk fish called a leather jacket. The larger Jack was taken on a live pilcher just around the bend from our resort. That was one of the strongest fish I have ever had the pleasure to fight.

Some pics for your viewing pleasure:

Attachments

• Spanish_fly.jpg
    Spanish_fly.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Jack_fly.jpg
    Jack_fly.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 2
  • Jack_Bait.jpg
    Jack_Bait.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 2
Those jacks rock, don't they?

My brother caught one in Naples harbor on a 30# spinning outfit. He was using a big saltwater plug with heavy stainless treble hooks. The jack went maybe 10 pounds, but it straightened all but one hook!

A fun and motivating report. Thanks.

I didn't make it to the Keys this winter but always enjoy my trips there. There is always something biting. The glamour species get all the attention but they can be unpredictable, especially this time of year, not to mention very tough to get on flies.

However, why spend an entire day trying to tempt a bonefish to eat a fly...when you can head out to a patch reef or toss some chum in a channel, and catch other hard pulling species till your arms hurt? There's just too much fun to be had with jacks, sharks, groupers, snappers, macks, redfish, kings, cobia...and my favorite: big cudas.

And the local tradition of taking your fresh fish straight to the restuarant is just awesome.

yeah and ladyfish ain't-some of the best fighters are considered junk fish but if you don't keep them,you will love them.

Back