Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Figuring out Smallie Topwater Action

From Philadelphia
Loved this thread today. Fished the Delaware at the DCNR area just upstream of Dilly's and below Lumberville. Low water...high sky...in four hours I managed one nice smallie by jumping him behind a boulder with a Murray's hellgrimite. If anyone knows that stretch, you also know that there isn't any better river bass water to be found just about anywhere.
Coughlin

Posted on: 2012/8/31 18:51

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
yep fished that area for 20 years, hendriks and eagle islands. try the mill are over the bridge and just out of town stockton. great area for bass, stripers, and walleyes oh yeah tiger trout as well in that area..

Posted on: 2012/8/31 21:37

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From Chester County

Quote:

sandfly wrote:
yep fished that area for 20 years, hendriks and eagle islands. try the mill are over the bridge and just out of town stockton. great area for bass, stripers, and walleyes oh yeah tiger trout as well in that area..

Surf Cowboy and I fished Hendrick Island on Wednesday and we were both skunked. Ideal conditions we thought, but the SMBs weren't impressed.

Posted on: 2012/9/1 6:42

From Philadelphia
Thanks Sandfly. Will give the area a try.
Coughlin

Posted on: 2012/9/1 7:01

From Lancaster
This past week I had some topwater action for smallies on the Conestoga River. I managed to catch 3 SMB on pencil style poppers in the last half hour before dark. There was a decent Hex spinnerfall at about 7:30 PM that lasted for about 15 minutes. Then right at dusk (8:00 - 8:15) there was a fairly heavy hatch of some other type of fly. As best I can describe them, they were basically swarming within 1 - 2 feet of the surface and flying very fast an erratically (much like you would see moths flying around an outside flood light). They were lighter in color but were definitely not white flies. They were too quick for me to catch any. Anyone have any idea what these might have been? Thanks.
Anyway, I had a good night watching night fall on the river. Catching smallies on poppers is a blast!

Posted on: 2012/9/1 8:01

From Gettysburg
Quote:

dc410 wrote:
Then right at dusk (8:00 - 8:15) there was a fairly heavy hatch of some other type of fly. As best I can describe them, they were basically swarming within 1 - 2 feet of the surface and flying very fast an erratically (much like you would see moths flying around an outside flood light). They were lighter in color but were definitely not white flies. They were too quick for me to catch any. Anyone have any idea what these might have been? Thanks.
Anyway, I had a good night watching night fall on the river. Catching smallies on poppers is a blast!

Yep - summer evenings on a WW river are one of the best FFing places to be. Regarding the bugs - it beats me. What you're describing certainly sounds like white flies to me. It's not uncommon to see gray or black caddis this time of year in the evenings. If you see 'em again, try to catch one and post it in the bug forum. Would be interesting.

Posted on: 2012/9/1 8:47

From Lancaster
Their flight pattern was much more characteristic of a caddis than a mayfly. Quite possibly a gray caddis but it was a pretty heavy hatch. I will try to get a picture of one some night. Thanks for the reply, Dave.

Posted on: 2012/9/1 9:06

From Luzerne County, PA
With lower water levels and bright sunshine fishing in the evening and after dark are the only ways I've found to even the odds. Does anyone use a streamer/dry tandem?

Posted on: 2012/9/1 18:15

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com