Delaware River PFBC Striper Survey 2016

One male tagged this year on 5/10 near the Phila Airport was captured in Maine in the first half of July. It was the first tag return from Maine since Pa tagging was started in the mid-90's.

so it swam over 400 miles in 2 months? that's pretty crazy

Impressive as that is, some years ago we tagged a female striper near the mouth of the Schuylkill R in Philly and 19 days later it was caught along Cape Cod. Yes, 19 days later.

I believe this. When I live in MA we used to have what we called the 'migration' running along the outer beaches of the National Seashore, pods of large hungry fish that didn't stop to feed but swam full pelt and fed on the move.

Local lore was that they crossed from LI to the Vineyard and then up the shore around the hook to Georges Bank, where they'd gorge on adult and YoY sandeels until competition from late arriving blues and rising water temps would send them up to Maine.

True Story - June 26 2007 (my Birthday), we were fishing the bars and holes of South Beach, Chatham when we lucked upon a big pod running the beach. two quick casts and both my buddy and I hooked up, me a small keeper of about 10lb and him, well....something much, much larger. it seemed twice the size of mine, and although it would have been my first keeper I knew he had the fish of a lifetime on and we were literally shoulder to shoulder in the group, so I intentionally broke mine off.

After a 15 minute battle, the fish was measured at 43" and being a spawned out skinny cow, estimated at 35lb. in full condition it would have been 43-45lbs.

in any case, a fish of a lifetime for any shore fly angler. he gave me a bottle of 15 yo scotch as a thank you later.

sadly, after the development and spread of the Monomoy Tip seal colony northwards, the "migration" along the beach is no more - of course they still run, but they learned to travel off the beach, or who knows run straight through the canal.

it was quite a sight though.

Back