Casselman River smallmouth fishing steadily improving

Acristickid

Acristickid

At times, especially in early spring, the Casselman River can rage.

The woody debris left behind along the banks speaks to that. So do the painted lines on some bridge pilings that show when the water is 4, 4 1?2, even 5 feet high on them.

That isn't the case now.

If anything, the Casselman is low, or “bony,” as some call it. With exposed rocks and boulders all over, it's too shallow to float and sometimes tough to wade.

No matter the conditions, the smallmouth bass are there.

“It's a first-class fishery, no doubt about it,” said Dale Kotowski of Waynesburg.

Kotowski guides anglers on the river that starts in Maryland and empties into the Yough at Confluence.

“The numbers of fish were always there, but for a long time, it had a reputation for a lot of small fish,” he said. “Over the last three to four years, I've seen an evolution to where there are much better quality fish coming out of that river.”

These days, 14- and 15-inch smallmouth are common, he said, and fish up to 4 and 5 pounds occasionally are caught.

Things weren't always this good.

For years, the Casselman was polluted, with acid mine drainage making it inhospitable for fish. It has seen a remarkable turnaround, however.

“It's one of those success stories,” said Rick Lorson, the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission's area fisheries manager.

There are portions of the river that still are struggling. The stretches immediately upstream and downstream of Meyersdale are recovering but still poor, Lorson said.

But the 29 miles from Garrett to the mouth are good.

“There's a lot of water to fish. And there are lots of fish there,” Lorson said. “Most of the fish you catch are going to be between 8 and 13 inches.

“But you can certainly count on catching bigger ones.”

He has had days of catching 30 to 40 fish between 8 and 12 inches, with the occasional fish longer than 12 inches, he said.

The biggest ones typically come from the river's deeper holes, he added.

Anglers slowly are noticing how good things are getting. The Casselman doesn't get the fishing pressure the Yough does, but it is gaining a following.

Rich Stoner of S&S Sport Shop in Rockwood had two anglers fish the river on a recent Saturday, then call off work the following Tuesday to fish again because of how well they did.

“It's been offering good fishing for a while. Guys are enjoying it,” Stoner said. “It's just a matter of gaining access.”

That's the beauty and the challenge of the Casselman.

There isn't a lot of development along the river.

While that makes for great scenery, a consequence is there aren't many places to park and immediately walk to the water.

A few exist in places like Garrett, Markleton, Rockwood, Ursina and Fort Hill. But there also are 7- to 8-mile stretches of water between towns.

That's where the Great Allegheny Passage comes in. It parallels the river from Meyersdale downstream.

The trail is made of crushed limestone with a 1- to 1.5-percent grade, “which isn't very much,” said Larry Mazer of the Somerset County Rails to Trails Association.

“It's relatively flat. And right now is great time to ride the trail. You don't have the bugs. It's cool. As we go into fall, you'll have the autumn leaves,” he said.

“And from Garrett the whole way down to Confluence, you have easy access to the Casselman. You can park your bike and walk to the river.”

That's not to say the walking is easy.

In many places, boulders line the banks. There's rhododendron, too. Rocks throughout the streambed make for slippery wading.

“It's not an easy one to wade or even walk along,” Lorson said. “It's almost as difficult to get to it as it is to fish it.”

Kotowski leads two-day trips on the river, pedaling and fishing 7 miles upstream from Rockwood one day and going about the same distance downstream the next. It's a workout.

“It's a harder day's fishing than some people want to put in,” he admitted.

But the benefits increasingly are worth it.

Spin anglers take fish on Rapala-type minnow plugs, Rebel crayfish, soft plastics and live bait. Fly anglers can take them on assorted patterns, with imitations of a hexagenia mayfly especially effective.

Mazer expects to see more fishermen on the river in the future as word of the Casselman's return to health and good fishing spreads.

“I can see that being a great fishing area,” he said.

It already is, Kotowski said.

“It's kind of a hidden jewel because not that many people really fish it yet, at least compared to the Yough. But it's a beautiful river,” he said

Bob Frye is a Tribune-Review staff writer. Reach him at bfrye@tribweb.com or via Twitter @bobfryeoutdoors.

Neat link - thanks.

We have a lot of good news across PA with respect to recovering trout streams and often it's a result of AMD remediation on bigger waterways (the recovery of the Yough is in large part due to improvements on this river, the Casselman).

However, such efforts also benefit warm water species. the recovery of the West Branch of the Susky is the best example and has some promising trout fishing possibilities... but the benefits to bass and WW fishermen are probably far greater. Medium sized WW rivers like the Casselman are less known fisheries, but can provide some great bass fishing too.
More good news.

I’m glad to hear the cleanup effort is working in your neck of the woods. I would like to point out the importance of giving props to the conservation efforts behind you’re your angling success. I fish in Chartiers creek which has seen significant improvement over the the years. This year I chose to fish the creek over the delayed harvest trout stocking nearby due to the success I had fishing last winter and early spring this year. The smallie action was so good that I only fished for trout in Pine Creek in Allegheny County a few times. I understand that TU supported that stream and the success was very apparent. I saw some incredible crowds enjoying the fishing up there and met some very generous fly fishermen that shared some priceless knowledge that payed dividends right away.
Enjoy the fishing while you can because the crowds will appear as people realize what they are missing. My creek is seeing increased action thanks to the Alleghany Land Trust via the Westfield Pines Conservation Area. This is to be expected as someone like myself is catching smallies in the 1.5 to 4 lb range only after two years of fly fishing. Once the lunkers show-up, it’s hard to keep it a secret. I hope others benefit from current conservation efforts.

All the best.

I have fished this river several times and it is a ton of fun. The article is spot on, but naturally I feel selfish and wish it did not get published.

Based on my preferences I feel like it is just the perfect place to fish.

It is wadable-but could be very dangerous. I've waded with shoes on here, and it is really tough. Wading boots are highly recommended

the access points are straightforward (with little left debate for public/private access).

Lots of smallies

Really pretty.

Back