Bug id help

B

buzzin_frog

I was fishing a warm water creek(most fish are red breast sunfish) and there were swarms of what appeared to be brown mayflies flying above the water. They were probably #12-16. I didn't get a close up sight of one other wise i would have more details. Anyone have an idea to what they were?

Frog,
I'd guess they were March Browns (?). I see many of the same flies on warm water creeks that one would look to see on trout streams. During the summer, many warm water creeks get good Hexagenia hatches too. Were the sunnies rising to 'em?

It looked as if they were grabbing stuff stuck in the surface film, still borns or emergers possibly?

porbably either emerging or laying eggs. An elk hair caddis is a killer this time of year.

Being mid may on a warmwater stream would lead me to believe Brown drake spinners if it was in the evening. Neshannock should have them pretty thick right about now.

Bob just put a post up that the Brown Drakes started coming off of the Neshannock yesterday. They're very early, but all hatches are. The hatch itself will probably last 10-14 days max. It is a dusk/pitch black hatch to fish. The risers really started coming out at about 10pm last year when I fished it. Standard Sz 8 rusty spinner will do the trick.

Ry,

so you were fishing a spinnerfall, not a hatch as you indicate in your post?

They hatch around 7-8pm, but like most drakes they emerge and are off the water very very quickly, so it's tough to fish the hatch... so yes I was fishing the spinnerfall. It's the best time to fish the Drakes. I'm hoping I get the opportunity to fish them. I'll be at the JAM and can't always get out in the evening as I work. I'm trying to go next Thursday if anyone wants to join me. I'll know for sure a day or two before hand.

Back