Black Moshannon Pickerel

streamerguy

streamerguy

Anyone have any experience fishing for chain pickerel here? Next week I'm making my first trout adventure to that part of the state and might want to try to catch one of those toothy critters while I'm there. Don't have a small boat so I'll be limited to shore fishing. Pretty much just cast some streamers around the weed beds and hope to get one?

Thanks

I have not fished Black Moshannon but I would say what you suggested is your best bet. Just work your way around the lake wherever you can cast. They will cruise out away from the weeds as well. I guess their are quite a few in there. I would stick to smaller flies 4-6".

Ok thanks. If not then hopefully I'll get into a few panfish or bass.

and don't forget, the creek below the dam can fish might good for trout, I always like to hit it on the way out or on the way back from central pa

Dear streamerguy,

Make sure you bring plenty of flies. All those needle sharp teeth can really trash your flies quickly.

I've always managed to catch pickerel on Clouser minnows but I tie them with much more flash material for the pickerel. It just sucks that two or three of them reduce the fly to pretty much nothing but a bare hook. Bucktail hair does not stand up well to pickerel.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Back