Bad Spawn?

F

Fishidiot

The current weather trend down here in the south central counties doesn't bode well for the bass spawn. Smallies in the larger rivers are likely staging for the spawn and the current high waters may blow 'em out. It's still early enough that they can recover and make a go at it later in the month. It's too early to tell, but I hope we get some more stable water levels for awhile or we could lose a year class in the lower Susky, Juniata, upper Potomac, and other smaller bass rivers. Of course these year classes of river bass always vary a bit from year to year but I hope this year can still pull out a decent spawn and not be a near total loss, esp in the Susky.

I wouldn't worry so much about htis slightly high water in the Susky so much as be happy the water levels are up and the weather cool for now. While the floods of the early 2000's may have flushed the spawn, I believe the low warm water early and sustained is what did the real damage to the Susky.

JMHO

Fishidiot wrote:
The current weather trend down here in the south central counties doesn't bode well for the bass spawn. Smallies in the larger rivers are likely staging for the spawn and the current high waters may blow 'em out. It's still early enough that they can recover and make a go at it later in the month. It's too early to tell, but I hope we get some more stable water levels for awhile or we could lose a year class in the lower Susky, Juniata, upper Potomac, and other smaller bass rivers. Of course these year classes of river bass always vary a bit from year to year but I hope this year can still pull out a decent spawn and not be a near total loss, esp in the Susky.

FI,

The Susky flow is not really very high even in the lower sections of the River. Northern PA has not received very much rain and the flow up there is below normal for this time of year. As of right now, the spawn should be okay.

Attachments

• USGS_01536500_01_00060_2009_20090430_20090507_1_0_p50.JPG
    USGS_01536500_01_00060_2009_20090430_20090507_1_0_p50.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 5
  • USGS_01570500_01_00060_2009_20090430_20090507_1_0_p50.JPG
    USGS_01570500_01_00060_2009_20090430_20090507_1_0_p50.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 5
Afish,
Thanks. That's re-assuring. The Maryland DNR is already concerned about the upper Potomac (which I fish more than the Susky these days) having a sub-par spawn. I wonder about the Juniata watershed which, of course, drains an area which has seen a lot more rain. Perhaps Raystown Lake can control some of the high flows in that watershed. Anyway, we'll hope for the best.

Mo,
You make a good point. If it's not high water, it's low water - sheesh. :)

I wouldn't worry about the spawn. Those suskie beasties know what to do. Ma nature will take care of things. Have a brew and chill!

flyeyeeye wrote:
I wouldn't worry about the spawn. Those suskie beasties know what to do. Ma nature will take care of things. Have a brew and chill!

You sound like you work for the Commish?

Either that or he attended one to many dead concerts :pint:

Back