2013 Susquehanna SMB YOY report

M

Mike

http://fishandboat.com/images/reports/2013bio/susq2013smb_yoy.htm

The short version is that young of the year (YOY) bass numbers were below average in the Susquehanna River as well as the West and North branches.

Well......as we had speculated here on this forum earlier this summer, the high waters did indeed impact YOY SMB numbers across the Susquehanna watershed. At least this appears the likely reason for the poor numbers this year. My guess would be that the Delaware watershed and other mid sized river systems in the eastern half of the state will probably show similar results.

Are the same areas historically sampled in the Susky surveys?

Thanks Mike. How many sample areas are there between the dam and city island?

I've fished the section around Purdix off and on since the early 80's. I haven't been out there for 5-7 years and remember that the fish number had dropped significantly. Last year I hit it in the fall and caught good numbers of 10-14" fish. Hit the east shore a week or two ago and we took a half dozen in the 17-19" range. I was impressed and based on my experience, thought things were getting better. Guess not.

Fishidiot wrote:
My guess would be that the Delaware watershed and other mid sized river systems in the eastern half of the state will probably show similar results.

The folks at Maryland DNR have completed their YOY surveys of the Potomac River and it's major MD tributaries recently as well: results here were also below average. Not especially bad, some areas had a good spawn, but overall, the Potomac produced a slightly below average YOY in 2013. It's worth re-iterating that one will see these year classes, good or bad, for many years down the road. The Potomac YOY class in 2007 was very good (I think the highest on record?) and these fish are now in the 12-14" range making for some good fishing.

I fished the Susky yesterday afternoon/eve 4:15 til 8:00 at duncannon and did well for the susky about 12 smb, largest 17-18 inch with about 8 around 9 to 10 inch. fishing was restricted to spinning rods wind was 10-20 right down the river. had a really good fury of activity from 7:20-7:45 right around sunset caught 5 in that time frame and lost 3 or 4. I may be fortunate in the fact that I never fished the river during it's heyday so i was happy with the evening. All the bass were very healthy weight and i thing i saw 1 very small sore.

I remember 100+ fish days in the early 80's. It still beats mowing the yard.

krayfish wrote:

I've heard that from many people who fished the river during that time frame. Sad.

wgmiller wrote:
krayfish wrote:

I've heard that from many people who fished the river during that time frame. Sad.

I too fished the river extensively in the 80s and 90s and - trust me - 100 fish days were never the norm. Did they occur? Sure. Two guys in a boat or a day of wading could certainly do this - even one guy could, with a clicker, count a 100 fish day. Nevertheless this was very rare (Looking back at my own fishing records from that era, I never came close to a 100 fish day).

To be fair to Krayfish.......he isn't implying that 100 fish days were routine. However I've long argued that "100 fish day" stories should always be regarded with skepticism and beginners who read this forum and lack perspective on PA FFing should bear this in mind. I had many - many - days fishing with fly and spin gear during the Susky glory years where I caught the skunk.
It was mighty good back then......but not that good IMHO.

Guess I'm the Frank Nale of the Susquehanna. Back in the 80's I kept fishing logs. I remember showing them to my buddy about 10 yrs ago and had 2 days on BS with a fish count in the 80's. To roll up those numbers, I fish all day (6am til Dark-30). I imagine that that story will be disputed or dismissed as a 'fish tale'. That's fine, I was there.

I can't comment on the 80's status of the river, but I believe you Kray, because I was having 100+ days in the mid to late 90's with 2 anglers wading/ boating. I've been doing exceptionally well this summer on the river between FF / and spin fishing. I'll FF when by myself, spin with another angler. I've had A LOT of 50+ days and the quality of the fish, on average, is better than the 90's. I'm very excited for the fall transition when the fish really school up.

I only fish it once in a while because it's such a long drive for me but I thought the size of fish we've caught this year was better than a few years back.

Many of the good sized fish currently present in the Susky in our favorite old stomping grounds around the Dauphin Narrows are likely fish from the 2005 year class.

It's worth remembering that SMB YOY classes tend to show similarities across mid Atlantic river systems based on weather patterns. Certain years, such as 2005-2008, had good year classes in the North and West Branches of the Susky as well as the Potomac due to ideal water levels. Unfortunately, those years didn't produce such high or very high YOY counts in the lower Susky around Harrisburg. 2013, by contrast, wasn't great in any of these sections or the Potomac.

Check out the year class graph for the Susky in 2005 in particular. That year was a good one across the board (and Potomac).......but for the lower Susky between Sunbury and York Haven, 2005 was the last year with a YOY that was above average (albeit only slightly). Those fish from that class are now in the range of 14-17 inches and should be present in pretty good numbers.

I only fish it once in a while because it's such a long drive for me but I thought the size of fish we've caught this year was better than a few years back.

Oh is that a reverse spot burn fishidiot?

LMAO! Here are all my susky spots....City Island, Fort Hunter, Manhantango, Wylusing, Laceyville, Amity Hall (Juniata), New Buffalo, Clemson, Montgomery, above the ferry ledge, below the 83 bridge...The narrows isn't any secret and gets hit the hardest...kinda a pain to row in. Want direct instructions to catch a 20 inch plus? I sent you one over a year ago. Next time I'm cruising up past Gettysburg at 4AM I'll beep my horn to let you know I'm going to slay 'em.

Back