2013 - Lake Arthur Muskellunge Data. EDIT: Includes 2014 Data

F

Fishidiot

Lake Arthur continues to be a world class muskie fishery with both good numbers and trophy fish. This year's trap net survey produced fish up to 52" and over 40lbs. All the fish over 42", not surprisingly, were females. The lake has a dense alewive population and this is thought to produce the heavy fish.

Muskies in Arthur

Did you check out that whiper and walleye . Just goes to show you that if you take care of the forage all the other fish will take care of themselves .

The striper fishing there has been a little under the radar IMO. It's a big and intimidating lake and I've only fished it once or twice, but have been meaning to get up there during peak fishing and target the stripers/wipers.

I need to make friends with someone with a boat!

Thanks Dave,

This is my "home lake" The size of some of the fish is amazing. BUT this lake can be difficult to fish. Fickle as hell. But I do love it. And I have seen cruising muskies the size of U-boats.

ryguyfi wrote:

I need to make friends with someone with a boat!

Nah. All you need to do is to wade out off one of the primary points (or mud flats) that extend into the main body and start casting. Early in the season (May) you catch most during the day. Right now, the night bite starts to pick up. You will go many hours without a take, then WHAM! And if it's a pig, you'll be into your backing in a few seconds. But be prepared for lots of casting.

Ryan you already do know somebody with a boat, wink wink. I'm actually looking for a 16 footer right now. Missed a couple on craigslist. The one I have now is only 14 and its a deep v so its not very stable. I keep it at my friends house right up near the lake.

I think if you're from Pittsburgh, it's your "home lake". I spend a ton of time on the lake and it's nice to see that someone can prove there are muskies in it still. It's a tough nut to crack. I've got 3 in 4 years of fishing it, with a 42" fish being my best. I catch more and better fish on other big waters including Pyma and NY/OH lakes.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/hunting-fishing/decline-in-lake-arthur-muskellunge-fishing-has-anglers-state-trolling-for-answers-318286/

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/hunting-fishing/methods-for-muskies-new-aquatic-habitats-are-forcing-musky-anglers-to-reconsider-time-honored-tactics-641742/

I've been involved with these meetings with the PA F&BC and the clubs and I find it difficult to understand why they don't focus on specfic bodies of water. This lake, Pymatuning Lake, and Conneaut Lake are all suffering declines in fish habitat. They get hit the hardest! So after 7 years they upped the stocking to double the norm, when the model put in place by agencies with more effective musky management are on a 3 year cycle. One year out of three with double the fish, and that is why we buy an Ohio and NY license. Drive the same distance to Leesville, WB or Salt Fork and actually catch fish.

All you need is a good Kayak so many good ones to choose from these days . I own a commander 140 and love it .If I was fishing this lake I would be throwing deceivers and hi-tie flies for these fish.
CopyofWW3.jpg

Ry the problem with wade fishing is you can't do any kind of figure 8 or oval to entice a following fish. You can do a change I. Detection like a sweep that's it. I fished primarly from foot it can be done but a boat ups the hook up percentage. Most hook ups are the first 2 strips or a foot if the rod tip.

I have never seen my backing on a musky and have caught my share of 40 + inches. They don't run, they stand there ground and bulldog ya. Head shaking gator rolling. If you see your backing your soft paying em. You can put the but to these things.

Just cast, cast, & cast keep your fly swimming.

Thanks paco. I've yet to target muskies, but it's on the list. don't know if I'll get to it this year or not. Have tried my hand at a few musky flies already though, so it's coming.

I think greenghost is referring to the striped bass getting you into your backing. That's a fish I have yet to target on the fly too. I've caught some in the river systems on spinner gear before, but none on the fly yet. It's a must IMO, sooner than later.

ry, Though a boat helps when wipers are deep, you don't usually fly fish those situations anyway. They come shallow a lot of times to eat, especially now at night. As long as you know a few spots that are wade-able and where they frequent, you can drive around looking for them that way. I usually rotate every hour until I hit them. Many trips though are blank. But when you do get into them. And some decnet sized ones, you will be hooked. PM me if you want more information.

Here's the new info for 2014:

Muskies in Arthur

The results continue to reveal a lot of muskies in this lake. In addition, the new PIT tag system is starting to produce multi year data. Muskellunge up to nearly fifty inches turned up in the survey. Of note: some muskies that were surveyed last year were re-caught this year and showed almost no growth. Hhmm.... Perhaps a hard winter?

I love Lake Arthur! Some of the best fish I have ever caught came out of that lake, including a 22lb channel cat and my first and only northern pike.

There are lots of places to fish and has some very nice fish in it, but it can be very daunting at times, but I can honestly say I've never had a bad day out on that lake.

Back