2011 Susquehanna Smallmouth Bass YOY

F

Fishidiot

Here's this year's PFBC study of the main stem, North Branch, and West Branch Susky SMB YOY (young of the year) study:

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/images/reports/2011bio/susq_yoybass.pdf

Short version - not much of a change.
The North Branch continues to have a thriving SMB population and the West Branch, although the YOY was below average this year, has had an excellent fishery in recent years. The main stem remains below average (which, of course, we know) and this year's spawn, although a bit better than 2009 and '10....is still below the historic average. The main stem hasn't had a steller YOY year in a decade.
I eagerly await these results every year and it's getting pretty predictable. Here's hoping for improvement next year.

Do you happen to know where on the WB the survey was taken?

Csoult,
I'm not sure where these surveys are taken. If my memory serves me correctly, the YOY survey is done in about ten sections from Williamsport down to the mouth. Keep in mind that the YOY survey methodology is different from surveying adult populations (they survey 3 or 4 spots for adults on the WestBr) and involves checking more spots in 50 meter increments where young bass thrive in summer months. I think these spots have been surveyed in a consistent manner since about the late 1980s.

Mike would know.

Had a good year on WB up my way.

csoult wrote:

This is terrific news. Are you finding bass dispersed throughout the river or are they localized populations at the mouths of non-AMD tribs?
If the PFBC hasn't sampled for bass up your way, perhaps it's time to select some spots for furure surveys as the upper West Branch is improving very rapidly and it will be interesting to see how rapid that recovery actually is compared to the excellent sections downstream from Wmsport. It's a beautiful river with great potential. Just a few years ago the upper WB was thought to be dead......they said the same thing about the Yough 40 years ago and look how that turned out. :)

I hope the main stem can rebound and spread the fishing back out again. Here's to hoping anyway.

Fishidiot wrote:
csoult wrote:

This is terrific news. Are you finding bass dispersed throughout the river or are they localized populations at the mouths of non-AMD tribs?
If the PFBC hasn't sampled for bass up your way, perhaps it's time to select some spots for furure surveys as the upper West Branch is improving very rapidly and it will be interesting to see how rapid that recovery actually is compared to the excellent sections downstream from Wmsport. It's a beautiful river with great potential. Just a few years ago the upper WB was thought to be dead......they said the same thing about the Yough 40 years ago and look how that turned out. :)
Dispersed throughout. Anything above Moshannon creek is good, they call it the RedMo for a reason. Clearfield creek used to be in bad shape but they have done some really good work with this (the Clearfield creek watershed) as you can see in this link (Acid Mine). So much so that the upper part of Clearfield creek has been put on the trout natural repro list just this year. This is very exciting news. They are now working at cleaning up Anderson creek which has the potential to be an excellent trout stream. This too would bring up the alkalinity of the WB. The future for this area is looking brighter and brighter every year.

csoult wrote:
Dispersed throughout. The future for this area is looking brighter and brighter every year.[/quote]

Wonderful news!
Kudos to the good folks in the Clearfield Cr Watershed who have driven the AMD cleanup projects. Keep us informed on this story.

Back