winter fly fishing

buckmaster

buckmaster

I'm new to paflyfishing. So what's the best dry flys for November. Fishing Indiana and jefferson countys. I've been using adams and adams wolf late this summer and been doing well. Some nice warm days coming up. Need some info Guys

Small (18-22) BWO and midges (24-28).

I've not had much luck with BWO's but will give them try. Anything smaller than a 22 is to hard for me to tie and put the tippet through the eye. I have had good luck with stone fly's 14-16, fishing them slow on the bottom. Olive WB have done well for me too.

You asked about dry flies but I prefer to nymph fish during the fall-winter season. It can be ALOT more effective .

Try C&F fly threaders for threading small flies. They come in midge size

Those threaders work great. Come January/February the tiny winter blacks ( stoneflies )will be around, about 6mm long.

Small 18-22 Griffith if it's warmer day. But as they said most action is going to be had subsurface in the winter. Try small nymphs sz 18-22, and midges sz 20-smaller. Micro nymphing IMO is the best way to catch trout in the winter. I've had semi luck fishing on the surface during the winter, but that's usually warmer days where the sun is shining.

buckmaster wrote:
So what's the best dry flys for November.

Well, obviously, we're pretty much past that now, however, for November, I tend to do well on terrestrials such as hornets, flying ants and beetles. Usually by about this time at the end of the month when it gets cold, the terrestrial bite fades....but it never completely stops. If you find a sipping fish in mid winter, don't rule out a small ant or beetle - they still work. Otherwise, for winter the main dries I use (and I suspect this is true for up in your neck of the woods) would be black and cream midges, little black stones, and small BWOs.

For most of the time I will use a prince haired nymph - usually the larger the better. I will run the nymph on a dry fly dropper line about 3' in my location. It will vary somewhat depending on water depth. The trick is you have to slow everything down for the most part during winter season. Look for deep pockets with slack water with just a little current around it. And if you practice catch and release you can keep coming back to the same spot and catch the same trout throughout winter.

I wouldn't necessarily go bigger, depending on the stream. I have found fishing for stocked trout of holdovers which are most streams near the se area will go for bigger nymphs in colder weather. But this doesn't necessarily work on every stream I have found in most cases on streams where they are natives/stream bred smaller you go the bigger fish you will catch and more of them. But this isnt necessarily true for just winter fishing. I tend to do the best fishing when it's snowing or very cold. If you need any help in winter fishing send me a pm

Back