walleye

gfig19

gfig19

Anyone know where i can go fly fishing for wall in lancaster, or nearby.....?

The Susquahanna has walleye, is guess I would try the mouth of the tribs. like conastoga creek and pecquea creek. I never fished for them with a flyrod but they would be easier on a shallow river than a lake in the day because they are usualy in deep water, if you were night fishing, they come closer to the shore.

I am from a different part of the state but i fly fish for walleye in the fall. Look for big boulders on shallow rivers. They lay under them during the day and will come out and hit big streamers.

Interesting topic since I just did a blog post at www.dirtbagflyfishing.com on walleye management by the PFBC.

If you want to know decent fisheries with walleye, I suggest you read the PFBC's management plan. It lists major fisheries and impoundments that hold walleye.

http://dirtbagflyfishing.com/2011/12/16/susquehanna-salmon/

Right on with the mouth of the tribs. There was some talk recently at my local stream meeting about dam removal on the Chiques Creek and how Walleye were found to be "stacked up" at the dam in hopes of heading upstream to spawn.

If I were heading out, I'd probably start off where the tribs enter. Not sure what the exact leader setup would be, but I know they have some chompers so you'll probably want to consider some type of bite tippet. In doing some internet reading, it seems as though any type of baitfish pattern works well (Clouser, bunny leach, etc.).

Good luck!

Walleye teeth are conical (much like you'd see in a large brown trout) and aren't typically known for cutting line. Fish like pike or bluefish, by contrast, have teeth that are edged like a two sided blade. Don't stick your fingers in a walleye's mouth....but I wouldn't worry about needing a bite tippet. I've never seen one bite thru line. Most hard core river walleye guys fish small jigs on very light line, typically about 6lb test.

Below the York Haven Hydro plant or the Brunner Island plant warm water discharge down around Saginaw on the York Co. side. Below the Red Hill dam just south of TMI on the Lancaster Co. side.

Wooly buggers and leech patterns with fluorocarbon tippets. I get on some walleyes here in the rivers from time to time they can be fun but not my favorite fish.

Back