slinky sight indicators- amnesia

• Thread starter westpaflyfisher
  • Start date
westpaflyfisher

westpaflyfisher

I've tried the 5 min boil and over night freeze with mono, does anyone know if you can make a slinky/ curled sighter out of amnesia?

Thanks!

yea u can but the best stuff i have found is the jan siman bi-color

Save yourself some coin. Instead of the the outrageously priced Siman, try the Cortland or Umpqua stuff. I know many comp anglers that prefer both over the Siman.

The Amnesia is named specificially because it "forgets" it's memory. So using Amnesia for a coiled sighter is probably the worst material to pick for this.

I've used a few different brands for this use, and never really used them after all. But then again, I haven't done much nymphing in the last 2 years minus steelhead.

i have used all three and like the jan siman the best to me it seems to be the brightest

As have I and see the difference in brightness not worth the up charge. Just my 2 worthless cents.

I've made them from Stren Gold. It works pretty well.

I also used to make them from stren gold and amnesia. They both work. However, I found the straight sighter much more effective and easier to deal with. The curly has it's place if you plan on long line french nymphing but if you are high sticking I would recommend a gold stren / red amnesia bi-color straight sighter.

same here, i havent fished a curly for a good while

There are some things to consider when choosing a material for sighters. The Siman material, the "old" Stren Gold and the Cortland material all have one characteristic that I believe makes them stand out from the other materials: the colored material is opaque. The Amnesia , the "new" Stren Gold and some others are translucent. A translucent material is, in my opinion, much more difficult to see when it is in water.

Further, when using sighters that are not curled, I believe the angler's eye is focused more on the color transition rather than the entire sighter. With the curled sighter, the focus is on the curls and the angler looks for any change here to indicate an interruption in the fly's drift.

Back in the mid-70's, when I began using the colored sections of mono in leaders, we didn't call them sighters: we just called them indicators.

Dave R.

Back