de-icing?

simplefish

simplefish

Do you guys have any tips on how to keep ice from forming inside the guides after repeated casting? I ran into this problem last winter, and it was frustrating enough to keep me off of the streams for most of the winter.

Check your local fly shop or cabelas. I've seen products to take care of this before.

I keep a tube of Chapstick in my vest year-round. In the winter, I'll pull some off with my fingers and work it into the tip-top and guides. It seems to slow the ice-freezing process by shedding the water away quicker. I have heard of people using non-stick cooking sprays as well but never tried it.

I didnt know about the chapstick, good idea.

I have heard of folks using PAM or the like.

In an emergency (Fish on and iced up guides) dunk the rod in the water for a quick fix, and get the fish to hand.

Of course there going to freeze up again....

i carry a film container of vaseline, cut off a half of a q-tip and you're good to go

If you wife wont let you use her cooking spay for realy important stuff then just use your dry fly dope,paste is better but any kind is better than iced up gudies . You may have to reapply if you wear it off after several hours of fast and furious bush wacking.

I just bought the Stanley's Ice Off, I figured it was worth a shot. It works great, but it would definately be better in a "chapstick" style container. The benefit it has vs. chapstick is it really effectively melts ice. Chapstick will help prevent it but not really melt it. I would definately spend the 5 bucks to pick up a little container. Maybe we could recommend they put the product in a chapstick tube.

I've decided that I'm not going to bother trying to prevent iced guides anymore. Chapstick works for about 10 minutes, then I end up breaking it off myself anyway.

Then again, it was single digit cold that day, but breaking the stuff off becomes part of the routine after an hour or two.

jayL wrote:
I've decided that I'm not going to bother trying to prevent iced guides anymore. Chapstick works for about 10 minutes, then I end up breaking it off myself anyway.

Then again, it was single digit cold that day, but breaking the stuff off becomes part of the routine after an hour or two.

Jay I am with ya on this one. Keeping ice off your guides is an uphill battle....although I have never used the cooking spray. But then again that is just one more thing to carry. I am trying to downsize these days.

One of the tricks we use on the Lake Erie tribs is to run fly floatant on the eye-lets. It works better then the commercial deicer you buy at Cabelas. I use both and the floatant lasts three or four times as long.

Back