bounce rigs fro nymphing?

pratt

pratt

anyone ever use the 'bounce rig' for nymphing in PA? I was in Utah last week fishing the Provo River, and the bounce rig is big there. I liked fishing with it as it prevented alot of the normal hangups that I get when nymphing - but after reading a bit about the rig online..I'm not sure it would be as effective in PA waters. Does anyone have experience with bounce rigs in PA? I'd love to hear about trials/tribulations as well as leader formulas for constructing my own bounc rigs...

pratt wrote:
anyone ever use the 'bounce rig' for nymphing in PA? I was in Utah last week fishing the Provo River, and the bounce rig is big there. I liked fishing with it as it prevented alot of the normal hangups that I get when nymphing - but after reading a bit about the rig online..I'm not sure it would be as effective in PA waters. Does anyone have experience with bounce rigs in PA? I'd love to hear about trials/tribulations as well as leader formulas for constructing my own bounc rigs...

Trial without tribulation mostly. It works for down and dirty nymphing. You can put a string of SS on the point with a fly or flies on the droppers, just use an overhand knot on the end to prevent them from slipping off. You can also use a dropper for the SS to get a more horizontal presentation. Give it a try.

Here's a PAFF thread from back a ways with a lot of nymphing rig tips: Nymphing rigs

I did something like this much of last year, where I put the weight on the end of the tippet and flies off of droppers behind it. In general, I liked this method. The main advantages are
1. No dead spot from the weight between the rod and the flies.
2. The line seemed easier to control and keep tight.
3. It seemed to cast a little better with the shot flying through the air first and dragging the flies and leader behind it. No hinging or bellying effect.

I don't think I really caught any more fish this way though, just seemed a little easier to handle for me personally. Also, I've weighing some of my anchor flies recently and comparing them to tin shot. I might just to back to putting a fly on the end of the tippet anyway, since the anchors weigh as much or more than several pieces of tin shot.

Hey why ask us. Give it a go. My Son was a competitive fly fisherman and that was not allowed so I never even thought of it. I use a weighted nymph at the point and sometimes hook every rock like it was the claw to win a stuffed bear. I almost always hook up on my tag nymph.

I do love the dry dropper in deeper Pa waters.

Hey why ask us. Give it a go. My Son was a competitive fly fisherman and that was not allowed so I never even thought of it. I use a weighted nymph at the point and sometimes hook every rock like it was the claw to win a stuffed bear. I almost always hook up on my tag nymph.

I do love the dry dropper in deeper Pa waters.

Back