What leader for nymphing

T

Takem

I was just curious what size and length leader everyone uses for nymphing?

For indicator rigs I run a 3' to 4' butt of half 20lb and half 25 or 30 lb test connected to a 3'+ tip of 8lb fluoro via a tippet ring. I then tie my tippet to the 8lb section. The exact length of the 8lb section is determined by the water I'm fishing. Bigger and deeper streams might get 4' or more to start. Same with the butt section. Also if I am fishing light tippets I will step down the 8lb fluoro to something like 4x to make it easier to tie on a light tippet. Indicator is placed somewhere on the heavy butt based on water depth.

The whole idea of this configuration is to keep as much relatively light leader material below the indicator and keep as much heavy material above it while still have a decent range of indicator adjustment. The long, light section of the leader sinks rapidly and uniformly while the heavy but makes mending and lifting the indicator a breeze. Turnover isn't a concern since the weight of the flies or shot is actually what gets it done with nymph rigs. Just gotta have a heavy enough butt to get the indicator moving.

I hardly ever buy or use store bought leaders since switching to this setup several years ago. I also use mono and fluoro marketed to conventional gear anglers to construct my nymph leaders. Works great, is economical, and I have plenty of material available to justify having a new leader tied up for every trip and several spares also. No need to nurse a ratty leader through another day on the water.

Kev

For deep dredging/high sticking, I typically leave my butt section (a foot or so). Then straight to 1x or 2x for about 5-6 ft. Finish off with a foot of tippet (3x, 4x, or 5x for me, usually depending on what size fly I'm using). If a dropper is to be used, I leave a tag end on the 1x or 2x where it meets the tippet.

That's not really a tapered leader, per se, just flat mono, which is how I like it for high sticking.

For shallower nymphing, I usually just use my dry fly leader and dry-dropper it.

Back