Trout Fishing in Lakes

G

Giventoflyfish

I'm relatively new to fish fishing, so this may seem like a stupid question.

I see that they are stocking Scotts Run next week. It's close by, so I thought why not go up and try it. Is it possible to fly fish for trout in smaller lakes and ponds? In my brief searching, I have not found much info.

Yes, it is possible and the trout will often take dry flies on the surface. Getting a drag-free drift tends to be easier as well. The only negative is that determining a possible feeding lie is more difficult. I recommend casting from a position and letting the fly sit for 10-20 seconds, then move it in 4-5 feet in a few short strips. Spread the casts around methodically until you find fish. My limited experience with fall-stocked trout in lakes is they will tend to hang in small schools. Find one and you may have found a half-dozen. Good luck.

Strip small soft hackles and streamers through cruising pods of fish. The local spin fishermen swear by a wet ant behind a casting bubble, so bring some of them too. You'll be able to see them from the rocks by the dam on the east shore. Scott's run is a freaking wind tunnel, so be sure to take something with some punch. I found it unfishable during a few "fly only" outings.

For what it's worth, I hate lake fishing for trout. If I do go, I just take a spinning rod, a chair, and a will to relax. You can get them if you get the right conditions though.

Back