Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Trout Fishing in Lakes

I'm relatively new to fish fishing, so this may seem like a stupid question.

I see that they are stocking Scotts Run next week. It's close by, so I thought why not go up and try it. Is it possible to fly fish for trout in smaller lakes and ponds? In my brief searching, I have not found much info.

Posted on: 2007/10/1 12:59

Re: Trout Fishing in Lakes
From Monessen, PA
Yes, it is possible and the trout will often take dry flies on the surface. Getting a drag-free drift tends to be easier as well. The only negative is that determining a possible feeding lie is more difficult. I recommend casting from a position and letting the fly sit for 10-20 seconds, then move it in 4-5 feet in a few short strips. Spread the casts around methodically until you find fish. My limited experience with fall-stocked trout in lakes is they will tend to hang in small schools. Find one and you may have found a half-dozen. Good luck.

Posted on: 2007/10/1 13:49

Re: Trout Fishing in Lakes

From Bozeman
Strip small soft hackles and streamers through cruising pods of fish. The local spin fishermen swear by a wet ant behind a casting bubble, so bring some of them too. You'll be able to see them from the rocks by the dam on the east shore. Scott's run is a freaking wind tunnel, so be sure to take something with some punch. I found it unfishable during a few "fly only" outings.

For what it's worth, I hate lake fishing for trout. If I do go, I just take a spinning rod, a chair, and a will to relax. You can get them if you get the right conditions though.

Posted on: 2007/10/1 14:40

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com