Tippy-top tips?

greenghost

greenghost

I broke about one inch off the tip of my Sage VPS 590. I emailed Sage and ask if they'd repair. They said yes, but right now, the return is up to 5 weeks out. Since this has always been my go-to rod, that's way too long. So I've decided to repair it myself.

I was hoping for some help with anybody who may have done this before... I haven't. A couple of questions.

1) Once I find the right size tip, is heat epoxy the best method to attach?

2) Is whipping necessary?

3) Will my rod action change? I was told by a friend that it might.

Thanks for any advice.

That tip top will probably work.

I use ferrule cement, which you heat and when it cools is sold.

I have rods that I replaced the tip top and there is no wrap. The tip top wrap is decorative (guide wraps are a must).

The action probably won't change, especially if you only lost 1/2 inch of rod.

I think MKern gave you sound advice.

I had a rod that I didn't care all that much that had a break maybe 1/2-1 inch down and the fly shop just super glued a tip on for me.

The action didn't change much at all, but I guess it's a possibility--every rod is different.

One other thing to consider, you might want to check with Sage to find out how they would repair it to make sure your tip replacement is an apples to apples replacement. If they were going to replace the whole piece of rod, I personally might be inclined to let them do that. Plus, you may want to confirm that your fix won't void warranty. I doubt it, but it's worth asking about before you attempt a fix.

If you need a 590 rod to fish with while yours is out, I'd be happy to loan you a 590 Launch.

Matt,
Thanks for the info, ferrule cement it is.

jaybo41,
Thanks for the replacement offer... Very kind of you. I do have other rods I can use. Also, sound advice on the possible warranty breach. I didn't even consider that. I'll be sure to check.

jaybo41 wrote:
I think MKern gave you sound advice.

I had a rod that I didn't care all that much that had a break maybe 1/2-1 inch down and the fly shop just super glued a tip on for me.

The action didn't change much at all, but I guess it's a possibility--every rod is different.

One other thing to consider, y[color=FF0000]ou might want to check with Sage to find out how they would repair it to make sure your tip replacement is an apples to apples replacement. If they were going to replace the whole piece of rod, I personally might be inclined to let them do that. [/color] Plus, you may want to confirm that your fix won't void warranty. I doubt it, but it's worth asking about before you attempt a fix.

If you need a 590 rod to fish with while yours is out, I'd be happy to loan you a 590 Launch.

GG,

Sage will give you an entire new tip section for the rod. If it were me, I would go that route. That's a nice that you would want to keep for many years. I'd use another rod for now, and wait it out. The choice is yours.

GG,

I'm with Afish. If you send it back they'll custom match the tip section to your butt section. $50 plus shipping to Washington. It will take 1 1/2 to 2 months to get it back. I just did one over the winter. It was broken for 2 yrs. It made me look in the closet and find another "go to" rod and that's not a bad thing. There could be a tiny crack or a crack internally that you aren't seeing. Put a new tip on and it will still break. Did you ask Sage if that would void your warranty? I'd ask. Sage if first class and will do it right with hands on personal service. Over the last 25 yrs, I've had the pleasure of closing the tip in my car door or boke it while putting it in a rod rack 5 times now. They've treated me great.

Here's something you may not have know and I just learned....
St Croix has a similar warranty program but there 2 twists to it....

Trip interuption service. You break a rod on a trip to Idaho. Call St Croix and they will overnight a brand new rod to the local fly shop or where you're staying. You return your old rod and keep the new one. There's an additional fee (I think it's $25-30 more than standard rates)

They also have an upgrade program. IMO, great idea and option. Example: you have a 2006 Avid and break it. You'd like to get the 2010 Legend Ultra model though. You take the difference in price between your rod and the one you'd like, subtract depreciation and add $20.

(ultra) 330 - (avid) 240 = 90
90 + 40 depreciation ($10 per year) + $20 = $150 gets you a new rod. Not bad.

Huh, I've got a St Croix Reign that might be meeting a car door tonight....

How do you like that rod? I got the Legend Elite and love it. May be my favorite rod.

Here's the list of covered rods from their site:
LIFETIME WARRANTY

Legend Elite® Rods
Legend Ultra® Rods
Avid Series® Rods
Imperial Rods
Reign™ Rods
Legend® Fly Reels
SCV, SCIV, SCIII Rod Blanks

Makes me wonder if it is a Reign, then.

I'm not a fan. I never have been, but I don't know if I can put a reason as to why... Its never amused me in the way that other rods do.

I should try it with some different lines, though. I came to realize last night that the free line that came with a used reel was put on backwards. Its amazing how much better it works when you turn it around, although I'm not sure what weight/taper it is, I think I always thought it was a 5DT.

Guess not.

Before blasting the rod into space, get a decent / properly loaded line on the rod and try it. It may make a massive difference.

I would like to add that to get the piece of rod that is stuck in the tip top all you have to do is heat the tip top with a lighter and it will pop out like one of those things that comes in a turkey.

MKern wrote:
I would like to add that to get the piece of rod that is stuck in the tip top all you have to do is heat the tip top with a lighter and it will pop out like one of those things that comes in a turkey.

Unfortunately, the old tip is unusable. I did contact Sage and they told me that I can indeed make a temporary "field repair" without it affecting the warranty. So I'll still will be able to use it for awhile before shipping it away.

I also talked with a Sage tech rep who told me losing 1 to 2 inches off the tip will NOT affect the action. It'll still throw a 5 weight.

FYI to Sage aficionados -- I found out that their warranty is not "free" repair. It costs $50 (includes shipping and handling).

However, considering the rod, it's well worth it.

Cost for repair is clearly stated in post #6.

I believe that Sage, Winston, Scott, St Croix all charge around the same price. TFO and Reddington repairs are a little cheaper.

I just got a Sage rod repair back about 4 weeks ago. I broke the but end. I feel the repaired(completely new) section is cosmetically better than the original. It took about 5 weeks to get it back but replacements usually do take about 2 weeks longer. I am very pleased with their service and would recommend a Sage rod to any one.

G Loomis replacement that I had done was 50$ also. They sent me a new rod and I sent the broken rod back in the container the new one came in. Called on a monday and had a new rod on fri. Excellent service.

Schreck,

I broke the tip-top off of my Redington CPX 4-weight this spring on the Little J. I was able to recycle the original tip-top and re-install it with 5-minute epoxy. The rod is as good as new. An inch shorter, but still casts great. Any wrapping at the tip-top would just be for decoration and would not impact the function.

Greg,
I got a tip and used ferrule cement -- the kind you heat -- to install it.
It worked well for me at the Yough, but I noticed it was very slightly off line with the snake guides and was throwing and every so slight hitch-to-the-right on each cast. So I went home and reset. Hopefully, it'll be OK next time I use it. I will return to Sage for official repair when I go on family vacation in August.

Back