Tipping a guide...

Big-Bass

Big-Bass

What is the typical gratuity for a guide for a full day trip? I have my trip tomorrow on the WB with a guide named Ryan through Cross Current Guide Service (set up by Joe). Regardless of catch rate, what do you guys usually tip? Thanks!

Lol and I have no popcorn here at work...

Excluding charter trips in the salt, I've only hired a guide twice, and neither in this country. So take this for what it's worth. But, my $.02.

I'd go in figuring 10% min, 20% max, and considering 15% the middle ground. If the level of service was below my expectations, 10%, if it met, 15%, and if it exceeded, 20%.

Note that level of service is not the same things as success. I can be happy with service even if we had a crappy day, or not happy despite a great day. If he worked his butt off trying his best to show you a good day, and seems like he knows his stuff, then I'm happy. It's fishing. Bad days happen.

But if you get the impression he doesn't know what he's doing, or is mailing it in, or worse, doesn't listen to you regarding the experience you want, then I'm dissatisfied.

Those are percentages that I figured...

Hey, this was a cool gift from my wife. I am going to make the most of the day regardless of fish caught.

Hey why you surfing the web at work? :)

Big-Bass wrote:
What is the typical gratuity for a guide for a full day trip? I have my trip tomorrow on the WB with a guide named Ryan through Cross Current Guide Service (set up by Joe). Regardless of catch rate, what do you guys usually tip? Thanks!

If you feel the guide did a great job and worked real hard to get you fish and made the trip enjoyable, I would say a tip of 20% of the trip cost would be a really good tip. If you thought the guide was decent, maybe 15% and not really that good 10% or less. Have a great trip.

This topic was beat to death a little while back. Probably can be found under search feature. Ryan is pretty handy and should get you casts at a bunch of fish. Pretty standard to tip $45-$75. If you had a great day, learned a bunch and felt like the guide worked hard to get you on fish, nothing wrong with a little extra in the tip.

Kray,

That is how I feel too. I do the same in a restaurant. If the waiter/waitress worked their butt off to make the experience the best, then they deserve a good tip. Thanks for chiming in and I will let you know how I make out on the trip. How do you think it will be with all this rain this past week?

Big-Bass wrote:
Kray,

That is how I feel too. I do the same in a restaurant. If the waiter/waitress worked their butt off to make the experience the best, they they deserve a good tip. Thanks for chiming in and I will let you know how I make out on the trip. How do you think it will be with all this rain this past week?

BB,

No way to predict, but the River flow and temp is in good shape for floating. I would bet you have a really good trip. Good luck.

$75-$100 for a full day 2 person float trip, is what I've heard/done as a guideline.

Not that it matters, cause it changes everyday but I floated the WB on Saturday (took my dad for fathers day). Floated barking dog/Indian country to Sheehawken. Figured we would be chucking streamers all day as the flow jumped from 540 to 1800 overnight, so opted for a long float. Water was chocolate milk. Ended up being one of the best days I've ever had on the WB. Had rising fish from 3:00pm on. Size 16 sulpher emerger was the ticket. We hooked 12 landed 7. 2 of the fish were in the 19-20 inch class. With the off color you could park the boat right on top of them without spooking them. Great time

Only bad part was having to row out in the dark, but managed to not hit anything too big. Good Luck!

Bass,
Like the others said....it will be fine. If the flow is between 600 and 3000, you'll find lots of fishing opportunities. Have plenty versions of sulphur emergers 16-18. Don't be afraid to chuck a #10-12 iso around. You might be shocked at what grabs it. It's the cheeseburger of flies. LOL.

0%. Their fees should reflect the total cost of their services, including profit for them.

Size 12 2xl Isosaurus! Crap, I use them everywhere.

For a 2 person trip:
$50 for a half day
$100 for a full day

I still say you shouldn't have to tip a guide. All the little "expenditures" should be built in to the cost of the trip.

the way I look at it as a fly fishing guide is I've pretty much covered the possible fact you will NOT tip during the trip.. if I take 2 guys out to a wild trout stream and we have a phenomenal day, I do everything right for them and they want to throw me 20 each in my book that's 40 bucks more than I already anticipated..

for guides who don't factor that in the first place that's their fault. I personally wouldn't go crazy and tip 40 to 50 each but that's whatever you feel comfortable with.

take that for what its worth

Doesn't it depend on whether he owns his own business or is an employee at a lodge or such? If he is a private guide who owns the business he sets his rates, so minimal tip. If he is an employee than larger tip as he probably depends on tips.

I don't hire guides, but I work in the service industry. I only have received a tip once, and that was because I charged so little, the client felt guilty. I tried to refuse it, but I only protest once and he insisted.

If the price for the guiding service is lower than average, I'd offer a tip for exceptional service. If the price is high to begin with, I probably would not. This is just my personal feeling. Obviously, maybe, if I planned to return again for service, I'd be inclined to tip more.

I'll be interested to hear a report of the trip.

I have been tipped nothing and up to $200.00 for a 8 hour trip. Do not base it on the number of fish caught but how hard the guide works for you. Preperation, and personal instruction are a plus. Also did he give you flys,a new leader ect. If so you may want to consider that when giving a tip. Even the owner of a business has a lot going on. Usually the non tipper is a very poor fisherman and should go to a pay lake to fish. Also it is very rude when a client back out at the last minute with out a good reason. That is a days wage. Put yourself in his shoes.

Back