The Mozart of Fly Casting

T

timmyt

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/19/sports/maxine-mccormick.html

Apologies for the putrid rag of a source but i felt the article would be enjoyable enough to others here to overlook it

Sorry for the quadruple post. It kept asking me if i wanted a poll...

Very interesting article. I would enjoy seeing her cast, I could surely learn something to help me cast better.

"What type of equipment does this now 13 year-old like to use? “My favorite rods to cast and practice with are an older Fenwick fiberglass rod and an older Fenwick graphite rod that my coach balanced perfectly for me with double taper lines and Hardy reels. I think they are 40 years old. I like them because they allow me to feel the line and are great for roll casting. For fishing, I mostly use an 8’6” 5wt Sage RPL or whatever else my dad sets up for me.” "

https://dunthemagazine.com/posts/maxine-mccormick

#glassisnotdead

I too find slow fiberglass to be deadly accurate.

Very cool.

I'm more the Nickelback of fly casting.

Good article from a very good publication.

I know the article ended with her being unsure how to move forward, but I think there will definitely be a market for her as an instructor and/or guide for women (and men as well, for that matter, lord knows I could use a casting lesson).

I'm guessing that some women would prefer to fish with another woman, as opposed to the typical fly fishing guide you'd get, but this didn't touch on if she was a diehard angler as well, and not just hooked on casting.

I think she prefers the casting to the fishing. I don't remember her mentioning anything about going fishing. There are quite a few people who enjoy tying flies but have no interest in learning how to fly fish.

DanL wrote:
I know the article ended with her being unsure how to move forward, but I think there will definitely be a market for her as an instructor and/or guide for women (and men as well, for that matter, lord knows I could use a casting lesson

Lord I hope she has higher aspirations then that. I hope she shoots for brain surgeon, rocket scientist, autonomous car engineer or president of the USA. She could be the one to cure cancer. I'd hate to miss out on that because she can cast far.

Wonderful response!

I was glad to see that second article that Sal posted because after i read the first it made no mention of fishing, thought that was kinda strange, she casts but doesnt fish at all i am thinking, huh?

From the Dun Magazine article:

“I love fishing. My favorite fish are trout and steelhead, but I have also caught bass and bluegill.” Maxine’s favorite river right now is the McCloud River in Northern California. According to her father, Glenn McCormick, she has also recently taken up spey casting. She doesn’t stop at fishing and casting, but also ties flies. “My favorite flies to tie are soft hackles.”

Yes it would be a shame if all she ever amounted to was the best caster in the world. I wish Derek Jeter was a rocket scientist instead of a baseball player. The world would have been a better place.

Autonomous car engineer LOL.

I always wished Derek Jeter was a Phillie

Maybe the next Amelia Tufts ??

https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/2019/03/maxine-mccormick-is-a-prodigy-and-world-champion-in-the-little-known-sport-of-fly-casting.html?outputType=amp

Here is another article about this young lady. 189 foot cast, imagine that!

Holy cow! Some days I'm proud to make an 18.9 foot cast ...

Swattie - you made me spit coffee on my keyboard

wildtrout2 wrote:
poopdeck wrote:
I always wished Derek Jeter was a Phillie
How about Bryce Harper instead? :)

i wish Bryce Harper was a yankee!!! 2019 would be a great year.
as it stands,if aaron judge stays healthy,we'll do ok.

but ,anyway, she likes soft hackles and fiberglass rods? excellent!!!

Back