Switching from nymphing to dry flies and vice versa

P

PATroutMan

When fishing with a standard indicator nymphing rig, what needs to be changed when switching to a dry fly during a hatch that starts? Do I need to completely change leader, tippet etc.? Or can the same rig be used for dry flies and nymphs?

Remove indicator and split shot (if any). Replace nymph(s) with dry fly.

PATroutMan wrote:
Do I need to completely change leader, tippet etc.? Or can the same rig be used for dry flies and nymphs?

I usually make some changes - mainly extending the tippet and using a lighter more supple one. This is because I favor shorter leaders and tippetswhen nymphing.

For example: for much of my nymphing, my total leader is about eight feet with a tippet of about 2' at 6lb test. For hatch match dry fishing, I usually use a longer leader, more in the range of 10-12' with a longer, skinnier, tippet at about 4lb test.

The trend these days, however, is toward much longer leaders for nymph fishing and a standard tapered leader for basic nymphing can certainly be used for dry flies. Such a system would be the obvious choice if you plan to nymph on a day when hatches are likely.

PATroutMan wrote:
When fishing with a standard indicator nymphing rig, what needs to be changed when switching to a dry fly during a hatch that starts? Do I need to completely change leader, tippet etc.? Or can the same rig be used for dry flies and nymphs?

I often fish a run with nymphs, and switch over to dries to cover rising fish in a pool. I do this pretty much all day, so I have to have a versatile rig that can easily be switched over in a minute or two.

I furl my own leaders and have a formula to step down for nymphing or dries. I can switch over very easily adding or trimming a section or two and tying a surgeons knot or two. My pet rig is a 10' 4wt rod to fish both dries and nymphs. But any rod you prefer will work.

The same quick change-overs can be done with a store-bought tapered leader. For fishing dries, try using a 9' 4x leader and add 2-3' of 5x as a tippet, giving you an 11-12' leader. For fishing small flies on a 6x rig, try tying 1' or so of 5x to your leader and tie in 2-3' of 6x as your tippet.

For nymphing, it's often best to use a longer tippet, one that's 2 times or so the water depth. So using the same 9' 4x leader as your base, add say 5 or 6' of 4x-5x to nymph fish. You can attach your indy close to the tippet knot and adjust it up and down depending on the water depth. If you choose to Euro or high-stick without an indy, add your sighter (bright-colored line of your choice) below the leader and above your tippet.

One thing to remember with the above rig for nymphing, it's not really necessary to turn over your fly on the cast, in fact the whole purpose of a tuck cast when nymphing, is to have the fly hit the water with slack to allow your fly to sink. So a longer tippet section may be more of a help than a hindrance.

A tippet ring on the end of your leader would work great for easy change-overs, making it easier to add, subtract or change tippet to/from your base leader.

Also, you may want to consider using a furled leader as your base leader, and change out tippets as described above.

One final point, it may be necessary to scale down your rig with shorter rods in smaller streams. I do the same thing as above, using a base leader, but scale down the whole rig (maybe us a 7.5' leader as my base) when fishing shorter rods in smaller streams.

Play around with you rigs to see how it casts and fishes. In no time you will develop your own formula to easily switch over your rigs.
And with a tweak here and there, you can nymph a run and quickly and easily switch over to dries to cover rising fish.

Afishinado- any thoughts on sharing that formula? I would be very interested.

jdh2550 wrote:
Afishinado- any thoughts on sharing that formula? I would be very interested.

I furl may own leader butts. I use a 5' furled leader butt for my typical rig on my 10' nymph rod. I attach 2' of 3x & 2' 4x plus twice the depth of the water for my tippet. If the water was 3' deep than I have a 6' tippet measured to my point fly. That would give me a 15' leader total. I use strike putty spaced out above my tippet as my indy.

I adjust up and down as the situation changes and may simply shorten up on my tippet to fish dries when I see rising activity. HTH.

PATroutMan wrote:

I prefer different leaders for either application. Loop-to-loop connections at the terminal end of the fly line make for quick changes.

If you use a stock, store bought leaders for everything, then just removing the indicator and split shot might get you by. usually you need to adjust the tippet length and size for best turnover and presentation. Personally, I abandoned store-bought, knotless leaders several years ago. They just don't do nymphing well IMO. The butt and mid taper is too long. You need a steeper taper at the butt and a thinner mid section IMO. So I end up constructing my own leaders.

For dries I usually use a furled leader set up similar to afish.

Regardless of what you settle on, I'm convinced that taking the time to tailor your leader set-up to the type of fishing you are doing is usually well worth it. You may lose a few minutes of fishing time, but a better functioning and better casting rig is worth it and actually does result in more hooked fish.

In the past I have carried a dry fly leader with me and switched via a loop to loop connection.

Recently I have been too lazy and just add a longer piece of 5X to the end of my leader an the fish do not mind.

I started doing a loop to loop connection with my leader. I have a section of very heavy mono nail knotted to my fly line then off of that I have a loop. I have nymph rigs with some fluorocarbon and usually some brightly colored mono. My dry fly leader is strictly mono and my streamer leader is shorter with heavier fluorocarbon.

MKern wrote:

Recently I have been too lazy and just add a longer piece of 5X to the end of my leader an the fish do not mind.

This is all I have ever done. diameter of tippet varies depending on pickiness but that's pretty much it.

Back