Observation: Real or Imaged

Acristickid

Acristickid

Was out on water Saturday and saw the most stoneflies I had ever witnessed dancing about on the water-egglaying.

Being a fly angler (we tend to analize things a bit much) I was wondering if the nice weather had an influence in bringing out after several days of crappy weather. Or perhaps maybe the flows were getting abit more in line too.

I realize that the bugs will do their thing reguardless of conditions but couldn;t help but wonder if the nice day really did have them out in what I considered great number.

What do you think?

All i know is that the Grannoms on the Neshannock this year were pretty much a crap shoot. They were about 10 days late, and were here and gone in about 2-3 days (from the reports I read). My observation is that they knew they had to "do their thing" and did it as quick as possible regardless of conditions. The water was high and muddy the whole time and basically unfishable. The hatch usually lasts a good 7-10 days. I think that your observation has some merit. Even though some of the bugs will get eaten by birds and fish, I think the bugs also like "perfect" conditions to help their percentages of success and when they see an open window, they're gonna go for it.

I think nice weather/flows has everything to do with bugs hatching. There's been days where I was on the water when hatches should have been coming off, but the sun came out a few hours later, and bugs everywhere. I don't know, maybe I'm in the same boat with you with over analyzing things.

What type of stoneflies?

Should have taken a photo,there was enough of them, probably hundreds.

They were not the little ones, nor the really large ones.

My guess is they were either:

Early Brown Stonefly Strophopteryx fasciata

Great Brown Stonefly Phasganophora capitata

Looked much like this photo but they seemed to look more tan or brownish when in flight.

Attachments

• Early Brown Stonefly.jpg
    Early Brown Stonefly.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 3
Thanks. In answer to the original question, yes, at this time of year I think you do see more bug activity on warm days than cold.

The mild days that are cloudy, humid, low pressure, with "unsettled" weather, i.e. passing storms etc. often have lots of bug activity.

The cold, clear high pressure days have the least, IMHO.

my take on this is that you just plain see them better with good weather/good lighting. they're easier to see.
there have been many instances when i'm in a pool that looks empty during a heavy cloud. when it breaks for a few minutes, i can see tons of stoneflies hovering near the bank/riffle only to disappear when the next cloud rolls through.
i have chased these bugs (when i should have been fishing) and sure enough, when the angle is right and there is a good background, the bugs are still there.
i believe that what you are witnessing is an "optical illusion" - not to be confused with an optical "delusion".

gut- prehaps, just seems to stick out to me.

I'd say you were there when the conditions for hatching were optimal.Water temp,clartiy and flow levels.

GG- agreed.

Back