Native Brook Trout Tactics - AM versus PM?

Letort

Letort

Because of my schedule, I almost exclusively fish for natives in late afternoon /evening until dark. Usually have great top water success with something like a yellow, green or brown caddis imitation, whether there are bugs in the air or not.

Have a chance to get out at first light on the same stream - will the caddis work or need to hatch any tricks, etc., that might be out. Will they be feeding on the surface in the am?

BTW, this is a tail water discharge, so the water is in the 50's even this time of year - the trout will not be stressed.

My experience with wild Brookies is that it doesn’t matter. If it’s Summer, they’ll hit a surface fly all day long, as long as they’re not spooked. I wouldn’t change your tactics at all. Whatever was working for you in the afternoon will work in the morning.

Not too many tailwater Brookie streams in SC PA. Probably have the stream narrowed down to about one of 3 or 4. One in particular I know of stays in the mid 50’s even in extreme heat for a couple of miles until it reaches a confluence with another (non tailwater) branch.

Take it from me.
30 years of trout fishing brook trout.
AM

Why would you want to fish behind someone maybe? Be the first guy there, sting and catch most the fish, take a nice lunch and beer and catch a big brown at dusk.
;-)

24006299028_798618cd02_b.jpg

Worth another look. First light on caddis

In all seriousness, in PA you can never expect to be alone. I'm not even talking about fisherman. In my experience, of probably 300? brook trout streams is people use the woods. Dogs, deer, racoons, ducks....they all can fowl fishing (no pun intended).
Brook trout are skittish creatures. Some of the best waters for size are utilized by hikers and boaters.
At first light the crows will wake up turkey, beat the crows to the stream and you will catch more fish.

It's simple mathmatics too. Fish longer catch more fish.

Hope I helped :)

Sal-
I'm still speechless over that toad you caught. By far the largest wild brook trout I have ever seen in PA. I agree with AM as well. As for flies, Neversink Caddis in yellow or orange along with any color #14-16 Stimmy will get the job done for you.

Sal, that brook trout really does leave one speechless, as Wild_Trouter mentioned. I've never seen a native that big in 30+ years of fishing Pa. One day a few years ago, I did see one in Potter that would have been close, but not quite as fat. That is truly a trout of a lifetime. A beautiful pic as well!!

Thanks!
But really what amazes me, is thinking about what the fish did to get that big. A migratory fish to a larger watershed for sure.
The fish deserves all the credit, he was easy to catch.

To be on topic, brook trout have a higher eye position than browns. Genetically superior in that they see overhead movement to a greater degree. Their genetic downfall is a tendency to feed more readily.
Anotherwards, don't spook them and you will catch them.

Hikers in the early morning, a walnut, deer, anything can put the best trout in high alert. As the sunrise their is a greater chance of the best fish not getting caught.
They aren't stupid.
And yes.....
As the sun burns assume someone is catching your fish.
:lol:
Anyways, low light is always best, but get to the creek early and have the best chance.

Evening is superior for brown trout as is morning.

While you reference tailwaters, assume the same principles apply.

Either way, catch a big one and let's see it!

Here was my thread on the above pictured wild brook trout:
Unicorn

"... a higher eye position than browns." ... ??? I'm quite ready to believe it but is this from your experience or something documented?

I ask purely in the quest for knowledge.

Aye
Eccles

Eccles wrote:
"... a higher eye position than browns." ... ??? I'm quite ready to believe it but is this from your experience or something documented?

I ask purely in the quest for knowledge.

Aye
Eccles
Well, to be honest, I wasn't aware of that. Even after all these years. But, looking through and comparing numerous photos of both types of fish, I see that it is very true. Just shows you're never done learning.

To the OP's question, I agree, time of day matters little with natives.

Sal - absolutely beautiful brookie. Haven't seen one like around here yet - I usually go up to the Maine/Canadian border to get them over 15 inches.

I was at a brook trout stream at around 8 AM today in the Poconos - I appeared to be the only one there after a rough mile hike in. They were munching beetles, ants, caddis, and stimis. Only time I switched flies was when I could see fish but they weren't rising to my fly. In the deeper pools and runs I throw a sexy walts worm off the back or ptail, but will clip it off immediately when I am fishing very shallow runs. Today I flicked a beetle on the some water I didn't expect anything to be in...nonetheless got a vicious strike and hooked a tiny brookie that launched itself a couple feet in the air into a side pool...fell off and spooked the rest of the fish in the other pool but boy was it a sight to see!!!

Sal - as others mentioned... I’m still in awe at that brookie from your original post. What a catch and very artful photo as well.

Where did you get a fly rod that tiny?! Hahaha

Back