Leaders for Czech Nymphing

TLoomis

TLoomis

http://www.bluequillangler.com/site/european_nymphing_techniques/european_nymphing_techniques.html

So I have been reading this, and page 15 is about leader making. I have a question. It says tapered leaders arent really useful (atleast thats how I read it).

So they are saying to make the 50-65" section out of 4-6x, and the rest out of what? the same or 7x. I suppose it doesnt matter much. What do you guys do?

7x has no place in any kind of nymphing.

But yeah, you don't want a tapered leader for nymphing. It doesn't sink uniformly, and the fatter parts of the leader don't really sink at all.

I do 2 ft of Amnesia and 5-10 ft of straight 3x or so. I'll put a length of 4x or 5x on to attach my flies.

This is a short nymphing rig used in faster water where you can fish a rod’s length away. As the diagram shows it’s:

[Flyline]>[Sighter]>[5’+/- straight 4or 5x]>[4x or 5x Wt fly on tag]>[point fly]

No taper. The thinner diameter leader sinks quicker and causes less drag. HTH.

Flouro material is also nice.

Some folks will encorporate "colored or high vis" Stren line in the middle of the leader or perhaps some bio strike. This works great for high sticking in pocket water. All methods have thier time and place.

You could spend months practicing/prefecting this subject.

I saw a presentation by Jack Dennis on Czech nymphing. He recommeded using 6 or 8 lb floro carbon as the leader around 6' or so then using 3x or 4x tippet of what ever length applies to the situation.

Awesome awesome. I am gunna make a few leaders tonight if I get the time. What do you guys suggest using for the high vis section?

25lb Red amnesia.

amnesiaRed.jpg

Stren Gold seems to be the standard.

I don't think you'll find it anywhere short of an actual fishing/tackle store, though.

I'll second Jay's suggestion of Amnesia. Good stuff!

Sweet. Doubt ill be able to pick that up though before this weekend...prom crap to spend $ on. On a happy note, I got a rod from skiltonian (sp?) tonight. Fast action, 9' 3wt (stiffer than my 4wt). So far, I LOVE it. I casted it in the grass and it was great! This will help with the Czech nymphing too

Tied some czech flies tonight. I will try it out this weekend. Idk if I will be able to make any leaders though. Lets just say that I am so busy, I have to leave school to get a frickin haircut...thats baaadddd

HA i know what you mean. Im scrambling too. I think i might make my way to dicks tomorrow so im going to pick up some stuff for making those leaders in the car.
I wish I had just one completely free day to get completely prepared.

The Amnesia is fine for making a heavy butt, but the Stren is more useful for Czech nymphing. You can get it in diameters all the way down to 3 or 4x depending on Lb test rating. The 12 and 8 Lb test Stren works well for the Czech nymphing leaders in my experience. You can make the whole leader except for the last couple feet out of the hi-vis Stren. Heck, I've seen guys running nothing but Hi-vis stren on their reels while high sticking heavy nymph rigs. Not a bad idea if you carry a second reel or don't think you will have any use for traditional fly-casting on a given day. However, It's not legal in fly only regulated areas.

Kev

BrookieBuster101 wrote:
HA i know what you mean. Im scrambling too. I think i might make my way to dicks tomorrow so im going to pick up some stuff for making those leaders in the car.
I wish I had just one completely free day to get completely prepared.

Truer words have never been spoken.

PennKev wrote:
The Amnesia is fine for making a heavy butt, but the Stren is more useful for Czech nymphing. You can get it in diameters all the way down to 3 or 4x depending on Lb test rating. The 12 and 8 Lb test Stren works well for the Czech nymphing leaders in my experience. You can make the whole leader except for the last couple feet out of the hi-vis Stren. Heck, I've seen guys running nothing but Hi-vis stren on their reels while high sticking heavy nymph rigs. Not a bad idea if you carry a second reel or don't think you will have any use for traditional fly-casting on a given day. [color=CC0000]However, It's not legal in fly only regulated areas[/color].

Kev

Wait, having a bit of hi-vis? Or the whole thing...

WHole thing.

FFO often defines maximum leader length, spooling a reel of mono on a fly line means you have, essentially, unlimited leader.

Ergo, you need to have leader (inc tippet), and proper fly line.

Someone should send me an envelope with like 12' of stren hi-vis in the mail. I'd like to make a permanent furled piece with a loop for th end of my fly line.

I'll paypal you the 29c for the stamp. :)

Native,

If recall correctly off-hand, FFO regs state that a fly line must be used and the leader cannot be longer than a certain length. So, spooling up a reel with nothing but Straight Stren would not be legal.

There are no restrictions on the mono that is used to make up the leader except for total length.

gfen,

I would send you some but the diameter of the line I have would seem to be too heavy for any furled application. I have either 8lb or 12lb test.

Kev

the length i belive is 18 feet no longer of a leader

Ok, so I learned SO much about leader construction and whatnot at the clinic this weekend. It seems that all the coaches have their own way of doing it. I am going to make some different ones when i get some material, and see what works best for me

Back