Leader to fly line

wetnet

wetnet

Everyone I knows uses a tool and a nail knot to tie their leader to their fly line. Anyone have a way to do without the tool while keeping it just as strong?

Here's two sites with video for the speed nail knot. The first has two versions. They are the same as the nail knot without the nail or tube.
http://www.flyfisherman.com/skills/jb4knots/

http://www.flyfisherman.com/videos/uniknots/index2.html

Thanks! It is not something you need to do on the fly.... Ha! Ha! a little fishing humor but if disaster should strike who plans on having a tool in their pocket. Thanks again!

I always carry a metal tube with me fishing. Actually it was a tube and needle with a string attaching the two. Well I lost the needle but kept the tube. The needle was for getting knots out.

Haven't tried it but those plastic stir straws for coffee should work and they're free.

Perfection loops will get you through the day in a pinch.

Whip finish a loop in the fly line and your worries are over.

The loop:

allows easy changing of leaders

slides easily through the guides and tiptop

helps the end of the fly line float (doubles the amount of buoyant fly line on the end)

permanently seals the fly line from water wicking into the core and making it sink

strong (unlike braided loops which have failed me)

no need to worry about carrying tools and taking up fishing time streamside

lasts a long time

is easy to tie using regular fly tying thread and a bobbin, and lightly coated with some head cement or Knot Sense

afishinado wrote:
Whip finish a loop in the fly line and your worries are over.

The loop:

allows easy changing of leaders

slides easily through the guides and tiptop

helps the end of the fly line float (doubles the amount of buoyant fly line on the end)

permanently seals the fly line from water wicking into the core and making it sink

strong (unlike braided loops which have failed me)

no need to worry about carrying tools and taking up fishing time streamside

lasts a long time

is easy to tie using regular fly tying thread and a bobbin, and lightly coated with some head cement or Knot Sense

Afish...I think you missed this part:

Thanks! It is not something you need to do on the fly.... Ha! Ha! a little fishing humor but if disaster should strike who plans on having a tool in their pocket. Thanks again

But if its close to dark, which is the only time you are in a pinch and a big darn hurry, I'd go with Greg's suggestion...can tie two loops with eyes closed in less than a minute and be fishing again fast...

I tied a loop onto my fly line and tie a loop on my leader and then do the standard loop to loop box knot.

i just started to use this and it works

http://flyanglersonline.com/begin/knots/castwell.php

Actually, I always did carry the knot tool in my (bass fishing) vest and my trout chest pack. I attached a spare Jeep key to it and pinned the whole schmeer inside an inside pocket. I sometimes forgot about it, but I never lost it. Before I came up with that I found out you can tie a nail knot with a pair of hemostats if you really, really want to. Damn braided nylon loops!

I highly recommend the speed nail knot demonstrated on the link that live2fish mentioned. I've been using it for 25 years without one single failure. It takes about one minute -- at the most -- to tie. Very easy to learn. The only tricky part is cinching up at the end. Slightly spinning the line as you pull helps. So does aligning your wraps before the final tug. Great knot!

Back