Hook pulling 101

brookieaddict

brookieaddict

In my stupidity i managed to sink a #12 streamer hook into my second toe up to the bend. I tried to pull it but found i didnt de-barb it yet ( imagine that) so its off to the local E.R. and after a short 65 minute wait i find out they dont deaden them ,push the barb through ,cut off the barb and remove the hook ,any longer. They just wrap some braided fishing line ( imagine that) around the toe/hook intercection and pull it out of said apendage!!!! I could have done that at home and saved the $ 100.00 co-pay I will be recieveing in the mail shortly. The moral to this story is double up some braid or mono in the 40# class wrap it around the hook twice ,cinch it up against your skin and in one quick pull out comes the hook. Be careful of flying babed hooks, they could be dangeous. always wear the proper O.S.H.A. aproved personal saftey equipment . I hope this helps you out. :-D

Ouch and ouch again.

The one time I got hooked, both the point and the eye penetrated the skin, much like a staple. There was only a small arch as the bend of the hook was all that was showing. The hook flew at a high velocity from the opposite bank.

That's where option 3 comes in:

Lots of anaesthetic and a scalpel...

Ouch.

I recently got a hook to the thumb. Had 2 in my life. First one was all the way in, the whole bend. Just slowly maneuvered it out. Second one was in deeper, the tip of the hook was poking the skin of the other side of my thumb, pushed it through cut off the barb and then pulled it out.

And, just think.......................all those stupid teeny-boppers, (and even, DUMBER, adults), paying out all those high dollars for body piercings!! Heck, sounds like they could just spend the day on the water, with some of us and save tons of money!
Plus, with a good barbed hook, one doesn't need to fool with those "backing pins" I've seen on many of the body piercings!!?!
I think, I even have, a few of the old Mustad and Sons "gold plated" hooks on my tying table somewhere.
No, I'm NOT "picking on anyone here" for getting themselves "hooked up". I have more, than I'd care to admit, "self inflicted battle scars" from misdirected flying hooks! (and, MOST, are from my own hooks, too, not those of others!)
Sorry to hear about your mishap, I KNOW how much those things HURT!

tomgamber,

thats exactly how i seen bill dance do it. ive always kept it in mind. fortunatly ive never had to use it.

Two important things. In the picture notice the finger pushing the eye down. That helps it come out the original hole.

Second thing, a really good pull. Little light tugs don't work. This is hard when you are relying on someone else to pull (being fly fisherman hooks stuck in ears, etc, do happen).

Glad it worked out, thanks for sharing your story. When I tie flies the very first thing I do it put the hook in the vise and crush the barb.

tomgamber wrote:
You mean like THIS?
Old post but I just read your link and had to laugh! The author seems to have WAY too much experience with this situation! I WOULD NOT fish with this cat. Or, if I did, I'd wear full body armor, safety glasses and a hard hat! :-D

Actually, it's not a bad one to resurrect. Good to know stuff, the main reason I flatten all barbs before tying.

I had a bad one in my pointer finger a little while ago. Was fishing for squirels when I tried to reach into this tree above where the fly was to get more of a grip on it. It then snapped and whap all the way to the curve. Took me about 2 and a half hours to get it out. Hopefully it never happens again.

I once had a 15" bass, my thumb, and my middle finger all connected to the same treble hook. Blood flying all over the place, and my young daughter crying her head off because daddy was hurtin'. I jambed my other thumb into his mouth to grasp him by the lower jaw and paralyze him.

That worked, but now what? I walked to a farmers house and my daughter rang the doorbell. The farmer looked at me and said "what do you want me to do, call the police or an ambulance?" I said no just get some tools. Fortunately the hook came out of my middle finger, and the last gasp from the dying bass ripped it out of my thumb. I couldn't even look at my thumb, which was covered with blood. When I got to the hospital and they unravelled the wads of napkins, there was one small hole in my thumb. But the inside was all chewed up. Add one Tetanus shot.

Two weeks later my son and I fished the same pond and guess what? Another bass, and another treble hook connected to my finger. This time the bass got off pretty quickly, but I had to go to the hospital with a lure hanging on my thumb. When I walked into the emergency room, the woman looked at me, recognized me, and said "you know where to go". I said "yes I do."

This reminds me to always carry a flask of bourbon. Great antiseptic and anesthetic. :cool:

I've had one hook in my hand, and four (so far) in my toe!

The first time I went to the Emergency room and waited like you did and gave them my insurance card. The four times in my toe, I used the "string" method and got the hook out with no trouble at all.

I tie a lot of flies with tiny hooks (usually late at night while drinking a bit) and I seem to get half the hooks on the rug. While walking with bare feet, I always seem to get the stinkin' hook caught in my toe and way past the barb!

If you realize that the only way you will feel any pain is if you pull the string too soft...... so I check the angle and give it a power tug! No pain at all. Only a drop of blood, and you should get a Tetanus shot every ten years. My daughter is a Nurse..... it comes in handy!

Tim Murphy is right on with the string method! It's the only way to go.

ouch!

here is another one that the hook did not go in, instead my fore head stopped 3 big sinkers, fishing off the bridge in pulaski when i was 12. got snagged and when the rig left loose...well i guess you can figure out the rest. it was the only time in my life i saw those stars like in the cartoons and the daffy duck lump grew out of my head just like the cartoons.

i guess with every story...it always could be worse.

I've been lucky, the worst I've ever gotten stung was I had a hook from a six inch broken back rapela just past the barb in my thumb when I lipped the bass and it thrashed. Freakin hurt pullin that out. :-o

Back