Fishing an elk hair caddis?

robkonowitch

robkonowitch

Caught some sunnies today with a elk hair caddis. I was wondering how people usually fish them? I enjoyed my after Eagles loss fishing but realize I could have done better.

Do you usually fish them like a dry fly or strip them in?

Yo robko

When trouting, I usually ffish EHCs dry and dead drift, though when naturals are vigorously emerging or ovipositing, a tiny twitch can work.

But sunnies seem to prefer them skittering along.

Letting them sink and twitching and hand twisting them in as wets works too.

Can't fish them wrong in my opinion. Just try dead drifting, if that doesn't work then try a little skate and stop. For sunnies in still water skating them will probably work the best, but do whatever is catching fish.

For sunfishes, I only have done lakes. I allow it to sit a few moments then drag skitter or strip for a very short distance, and I observe any reactions I get.

In the stream, you need different patterns or a hybrid.

A dry caddis pattern with a palmered hackle for riding-high. Start with several dead drift over the targeted lie. If nothing, but you are sure there is a troot lying in wait, try either pulling it under (may require stroking and mudding the hair and hackle), or change flies to a caddis emerger, may I suggest the sparkle dun. If that doesn't excite them you can go to the L. pupae or any other pupae. If that fails, try a Royal Wulff.

And if all of that fails throw a weenie

For trout, I usually dead drift. Will say, however, that I have had some vicious hits when at the end of the drift, I begin to lift to cast.

For sunnies, I'll often twitch it in.

I've been surprised quite a few times when I do something I'm not supposed to do, and end up catching a fish. Like quickly dragging an EHC across the surface. Or not using floatant and allowing it to sink.

For trout I think dead drifting on the surface is the best way to fish it.
For sunfish, some movement seems to get their attention more. Everyone may laugh at me, but dragging it 20' across the surface faster than I can strip has brought buckets of WW fish to hand. Sunfish in schools are so aggressive I find they will take anything I can put in front of them that will fit in their mouth.

Back