Fishing a spring creek

D

Dubtheflyfisher

Lately, I have been getting out of my comfort zone of fishing freestone streams all the time and I have been making some trips to limestone spring creeks, usually in Blair county. These creeks flow slower I'm having some trouble trying to figure out how to approach and fish these types of streams. Any pointers on a leader setup, flies, technique, etc. would be appreciated

There are many variables that are more pronounced or critical when fishing limestone vs freestone creeks here in PA.

My best advice for a short answer for limestone streams....
1. Fish upstream.
2. Avoid wading as much as possible.

I'd also recommend a good book: Mike Heck's Spring Creek Strategies.

Orvis's Guide to Small Stream Fly Fishing is a good book as well.

You could try my approach, while unorthodox it produces fish.

Approach1:
Fish going downstream with dries making long casts and extending your drift by feeding line out.
Works well in low and clear water.
Advantages are not lining fish, casting long distance and feeding line out avoids the fish seeing you.

Approach2:
Fish going downstream throwing long casts with a streamer or sculpin. Pay most attention to cover and undercuts. Be sure to fish all columns of the water. Bottom, middle, surface. Pending on where the fish are hiding, they only see a window, you have to put the fly in that window to entice them out.
Advantagesare not spooking target fish and not worrying about the ones you do.

Approach3:
Fish going upstream slowly with a streamer or sculpin. Again paying all your attention to structure and especially mid channel structure. You can dap your fly right at the structure while standing right behind it.
Advantages wake disturbance goes downstream and you can get close to structure without spooking fish.

Limestone streams are mini enigmas and it's fun unlocking them. Don't give up

As a side note:
If the stream allows I fish with about 14'-15'of tippet and leader. If fishing streamers about 9'.

Don't focus so much on fly choice but rather just presenting the ones you choose well.

Dave hit it on the head fishing up stream and wading avoid wading as much as possible.

Back