Double Nymph Rig Tangles After Landing Fish on Top Fly

Swattie87

Swattie87

Is it me, or does this happen to everyone?

Nearly every time I catch a fish on the top fly of a two fly nymph rig the bottom part of the rig gets tangled beyond repair when landing the fish. I end up having to snip the dropper and shot from between the flies off and re-rig everything from the top fly down. If the top fly is consistently the one catching fish I end up just fishing it as a single after a couple re-rigs. This doesn’t happen when I catch a fish on the bottom nymph clearly. Tips, thoughts, suggestions?

Particularly right after you rig up. Hate the smaller fish- I usually just say out loud to myself “don’t ball up my rig , don’t ball up my rig, don’t ball it up”. It’s only effective 43% of the time.

The smolts they put in the tribs in Erie kill me with this. I don’t fish later in the steelhead season because of this.

Swattie87 wrote:
Is it me, or does this happen to everyone?

Nearly every time I catch a fish on the top fly of a two fly nymph rig the bottom part of the rig gets tangled beyond repair when landing the fish. I end up having to snip the dropper and shot from between the flies off and re-rig everything from the top fly down. If the top fly is consistently the one catching fish I end up just fishing it as a single after a couple re-rigs. This doesn’t happen when I catch a fish on the bottom nymph clearly. Tips, thoughts, suggestions?

Tangles do happen occasionally, but try not putting a splitshot between your flies. Attach your SS above the second fly or on the point with two droppers above. Or just use weighted flies without SS for less tangles.

It certainly happens to me.

However, I usually fish both of my nymphs above the split shot and this greatly reduces tangles, even when the upper fly is the one with the fish.

SWATTIE, send the rig, how your set up to: evolution leaders, p o box 2 , Muncy Pa. 17756.

Let me take a look at all the factors involved, length, diameter, line, drops, etc.

Maybe I can figure a solution, or a similar rig of equal use.

Without seeing your rig, any suggestion would be futile.

Maxima12

I second (or third) what the mods said. Don't use shot if you can get away with it and only use shot on 4X. Drop-shot if you need to get small bugs down. Also, lengthen the distant between flies and shorten your dropper. I know some guys like longer droppers for the movement, but 3 or 4 inches makes less mess, especially when the point fly is far enough away from the bouncing baby brownie. Oh, and it will still tangle even after all that...

Maxima,

I haven’t been on the forum for a while so I have yet to grow accustomed to whatever it is you’re up to.

OP,

being very conscious about keeping a low rod angle with side pressure while playing fish should help significantly with the feisty tangly ones :)

Swattie, what's the distance between the flies? I keep mine about 3-5 inches apart and never have any trouble with the weight above the two flies. It helps with strike defection too. Drop shotting is a different issue but doesnt sound like that's what you're talking about.

jacob wrote:
Maxima,

I haven’t been on the forum for a while so I have yet to grow accustomed to whatever it is you’re up to.

OP,

being very conscious about keeping a low rod angle with side pressure while playing fish should help significantly with the feisty tangly ones :)

It kind of sounded like he's trying to help the guy out, maybe I'm missing something though. I do think the guy knows a ton about leaders based on his posts.

ryansheehan wrote:
Swattie, what's the distance between the flies? I keep mine about 3-5 inches apart and never have any trouble with the weight above the two flies. It helps with strike defection too. Drop shotting is a different issue but doesnt sound like that's what you're talking about.

3-5 inches apart seems much too short to me. I've always kept my two flies about 12-18" apart. The rationale there is I dont want the fish to see both nymphs floating by at the same time. I figure that's unnatural. Also, I'd think you'd end up fouling the fish with your second fly if you do manage to get one to eat.

Do you have success with your nymphs 3-5 inches apart? Do you tie them in-line off the bend of the hook or do you use a tag for your upper nymph? Have you tried situating your nymphs farther apart and find it more effective with them closer together? Really seems to go against the conventional wisdom but if you say it works I might have to give it a try.

Thanks for the responses. I have them probably 8-10” apart. Seems like moving the split shot either above or below the flies, but not in between, is the consistent advice. I’ll experiment with that.

Typically do 12-18 inches apart. Knowing you gemmie guys, you are using what, 6x? Try 4x fluoro for the dropper. Less visible to the fish, stiffer and a lot less tangles

My bottom fly is usually tied off the top fly with 5x. I don’t typically nymph for Gemmies. Dries, or small streamers when it’s cold.

Swattie87 wrote:
My bottom fly is usually tied off the top fly with 5x. I don’t typically nymph for Gemmies. Dries, or small streamers when it’s cold.

Your clarification makes me want to add to my response to clarify. I keep the flies about the length of the fish I will target apart. Also, even if you are not drop-shotting or tightline nymphing, the principle is the same in that you will have fewer tangles if the heaviest object, whether that is fly or shot, is at the end of your rig. Fluoro and heavier tippet when you can get away with it.

Beefheart wrote:
ryansheehan wrote:

3-5 inches apart seems much too short to me. I've always kept my two flies about 12-18" apart. The rationale there is I dont want the fish to see both nymphs floating by at the same time. I figure that's unnatural. Also, I'd think you'd end up fouling the fish with your second fly if you do manage to get one to eat.

Do you have success with your nymphs 3-5 inches apart? Do you tie them in-line off the bend of the hook or do you use a tag for your upper nymph? Have you tried situating your nymphs farther apart and find it more effective with them closer together? Really seems to go against the conventional wisdom but if you say it works I might have to give it a try.

I do okay that short, I have found it works best. My typical rig when nymphing in line is to have some shot 5 inches above a weighted nymph, followed by an unweighted nymph tied off the bend. I typically catch more fish off the dropper than I do the point. The problem with 12-18 inches between the flies is you have no strike detection. The unweighted fly will float down past the point and shot that are lower and slower than the unweighted nymph. A fish will eat and spit your fly with ease and you will have no idea. If your shot is also 12-18 inches above the point that's a 3 foot swing. When I would put that much space between my flies I didn't catch fish on the dropper very often. I nymph many different styles and have done a lot of experimenting so every situation is different but I don't foresee a situation where I would put more than 6 inches between my flies anymore. Perhaps if I had 12 inches between two flies with shot in the middle, that would keep me in good contact with the dropper. The problem with that as Swattie has eluded to is the tangles are bitch. As far as dropper hanging up on fish it happens occasionally but not that much more than say 12 inches. Assuming you use a barbless hook it shouldn't be a problem.

As for the part where you don't want them to see the flies at the same time, I do. I've watched the situation play out so many times. The point fly comes down, the trout swims over to inspect, doesn't like it but attacks the second offering in one motion. I don't understand why two morsels of food would not be near one another will drifting down stream, it's happening all the time with naturals. Two flies 18 inches apart aren't in the same current speed, causing them to act unnaturally.

Again, all this is just my 2 cents. Not saying I'm right but it's the system I've crafted through many hours nymphing. Interested to hear yout thoughts.

ryansheehan wrote:

As for the part where you don't want them to see the flies at the same time, I do. I've watched the situation play out so many times. The point fly comes down, the trout swims over to inspect, doesn't like it but attacks the second offering in one motion.

I've watched the same thing time after time while sight fishing with both nymphs and wet flies. One fly will get the fish's attention, the other seals the deal. You can almost see the gear's in fish's brain going "I swam this far for something that isn't food, I might as well grab this other bite while I'm here."

Even when I can't see it happen, it's amazing how it happens that if I remove the fly which doesn't seem to be producing, the fly that had been producing suddenly stops doing so until I replace the attractor.

Envious of your fishing and catching steelhead. Congratulations.

My top fly tangles almost always happen on the small fish and for me it typically occurs when I try to skim them across the surface to bring them to hand for the release. It's the gator roll thing they do on top that does it. It may sound silly and sometimes it's just not possible but I do what I can to keep them under the surface till the last possible second and not overdue it trying to end the fight too soon (almost like it's one of the big boys and I'm try not to lose them). It takes only a little longer to play them and certainly less time then untangling or starting over with your rig.

It usually happens on smaller fish. Here’s some key points.....

If it’s a small fish get it out of the water as fast ya can and in the net. Reduce any flopping on having it near the top of water. If you watch better nymphers they’ll pull the fish out the water and right into the net in one move basically holding them above the water. Then set the fish in the net and try to make sure the bottom fly is outside the net. When the fish is in the net place it back int the water and let the fish sit in it. They’ll usually stop flopping.

I keep my flies 18-24 inches apart. That in returns give the fish space to eat either fly. When you’re 3-5 inches you’ll foul fish. Since I’ve been tightlining for 2.5 years ive fouled maybe three fish.

Just my 2 cents

It kind of sounded like he's trying to help the guy out, maybe I'm missing something though. I do think the guy knows a ton about leaders based on his posts.

Upon another read - yes, you are correct.

My apologies to you Maxima. I had just read a different post that sounded like a chapter from a William S. Burroughs book, so I was being presumptive about your post here.

Back