Curly Q Indicator

M

mario66pens

Does anybody have any experience with french nymphing and the curly Q indicator? When you get a take, does the sighter stretch out completely?

It can, depending on how hard the take was, but you're also looking for what you perceive to be an abnormal stretch. It's no different than using a strike indicator.

Agree with Trout-Stalker. Sometimes you will only see a slight movement on the curlies next to the tippet. To be honest, I've never had a strike where the enire Curly-Q straighten out.

I am more of a fan of just a bright section of mono in your leader. The curly q gets annoying to keep set up correctly. I think the plain bright mono is easier to detect a strike.

you have to really study it when your fly gets a take or anyhting interferes with it the indicator will stretch out slowly i would feel it was too late if it were completely stretched out or snagged everything about fishing that way dead upstream curly q micro nymphs no weight is deadly but yet its delecate talk to heritage angler he will clue you in on it he's the one that had me doing it ( catching carp in spring creek)

I was wondering if you only put two or three loops in it, if it would make it more sensitive, I feel like I dont need 17 loops riding on the surface.

mike_richardson wrote:
I am more of a fan of just a bright section of mono in your leader. The curly q gets annoying to keep set up correctly. I think the plain bright mono is easier to detect a strike.

Two different sighters/indicators for two different applications.

mario66pens wrote:
I was wondering if you only put two or three loops in it, if it would make it more sensitive, I feel like I dont need 17 loops riding on the surface.

In my experience you see the strike by means of all the coils. They all just start spreading apart. I would imagine that this movement would be harder to see with less coils.

Back