Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Cold Feet

From SEPA
The three keys for me are, boots that are not too tight, synthetic liner socks, and fleece socks over the liner socks.

I was out for steel two weeks ago and one day I didn't do 2 layers. After an hour I'd start loosing feeling in my feet and had to walk around to get them going again.

Posted on: 2012/11/20 4:37

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
OR learn to spey cast from the banks, no worries then...

Posted on: 2012/11/20 7:11

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From Monessen, PA
I agree with those that offer this:

Thin pair of wicking socks. No need to spend a lot of money. Pure polyester dress socks, the thinner the better. Cover with 100% wool (I got mine at an Army-Navy store. Make sure boots are loose or use bootfoot waders. Now and then, take a little walk: no one likes a hole-hog anyway.

Posted on: 2012/11/20 7:23

From Chester County
Quote:

JackM wrote:
I agree with those that offer this:

Thin pair of wicking socks. No need to spend a lot of money. Pure polyester dress socks, the thinner the better. Cover with 100% wool (I got mine at an Army-Navy store. Make sure boots are loose or use bootfoot waders. Now and then, take a little walk: no one likes a hole-hog anyway.

+1

thin wicking socks and wool socks over with loose fitting boots.

Posted on: 2012/11/20 7:38

From LV
I always suffered in cold weather with cold feet, until I bought some poar fleece socks. Now my feet never get cold when wading in cold weather. LL Bean has them and they're half the price I paid for them when Orvis had them. About $15.

Posted on: 2012/11/20 10:11

From Franklin County
Does anyone own these????

http://www.basspro.com/ThermaCELL-Hea ... s/product/11100805013014/

My buddy seen them at the Hunt/Fish Expo this year and he told me there was a booth for these insoles where they had rubber boots sitting in ice and the air temp in the boots rose ridiculously fast to like 70 degrees. The guy said just insert them into the bottoms of your waders and the battery lasts all day on low. Seems like a likely Christmas present to myself....

Posted on: 2012/11/20 12:37

From Lancaster County
Quote:

skeeter wrote:
Does anyone own these????

http://www.basspro.com/ThermaCELL-Hea ... s/product/11100805013014/

My buddy seen them at the Hunt/Fish Expo this year and he told me there was a booth for these insoles where they had rubber boots sitting in ice and the air temp in the boots rose ridiculously fast to like 70 degrees. The guy said just insert them into the bottoms of your waders and the battery lasts all day on low. Seems like a likely Christmas present to myself....

What could possibly go wrong? Water, leaking waders, batteries.. sign me up

Posted on: 2012/11/20 14:38

From NE OH
In addition to all of the above, if you are still struggling...you may actually have a circulation issue that makes it tough to keep the old feet warm. If your feet are cold and blue...see a doctor

You can also consider a transdermal L-Arginase cream. Transdermal L-Arginase is a vasdilator to the blood vessels of the skin. This is particularly helpful in patients with condition's like Raynaud's disease. It's often an ingredient in the diabetic foot creams you see at the pharmacy or one I like in particular is called Healthy Foot Cream.

I Rx systemic drugs pretty often that aid in peripheral circulation in patients with vasospastic disorders. So the take home is, if your feet seem cold out of proportion to your fishing buddies...maybe there is more to it. Food for thought.

Posted on: 2012/11/21 7:52

From Monessen, PA
Excellent points Patrick. I have a slight case of circulation issues with my hands, I guess similar to Raynaud's, if not it. But, the fingers from the middle knuckle upward are simply "slow to respond." Usually, within 5 minutes the circulation improves to 100% and I can go without gloves in sub-freezing temps the rest of the day. It seems as if the transition from warm temps in a car or house to cold temperatures in the outdoors manifests the condition immediately.

I am not looking for a diagnosis, just suggesting that even someone with any such deficiency in circulation can dress appropriately to his/her condition. The cream you suggested sounds like an excellent idea. Since it is my hands that are of concern, do they make it scentless?

Posted on: 2012/11/21 7:59

From NE OH
I have some at the office. I'll smell it next week when I return I've never considered that, but people use it on their hands all the time.

Posted on: 2012/11/21 8:20

From North Hills, Pittsburgh
You guys are awesome. I think the answear to my problem was pretty simple. I switched waders this year from my old bootfoot to new 5mm stocking foot. I switched cause I eanted a better fit in the through the entire wader) looks like I'll be switching back to the boot foot and I'll save the stocking foot for when its jjust a lil too cold for the neoprenes. Imight try those alpaca socks. Thanks Again

Posted on: 2012/11/30 14:30

From Mount Joy, PA
Quote:

PatrickC wrote:
You can also consider a transdermal L-Arginase cream. Transdermal L-Arginase is a vasdilator to the blood vessels of the skin. This is particularly helpful in patients with condition's like Raynaud's disease. It's often an ingredient in the diabetic foot creams you see at the pharmacy or one I like in particular is called Healthy Foot Cream.

I Rx systemic drugs pretty often that aid in peripheral circulation in patients with vasospastic disorders. So the take home is, if your feet seem cold out of proportion to your fishing buddies...maybe there is more to it. Food for thought.

Hey doc.... Do you think I could just rub some BenGay or Icy Hot on the bottom of my feet???

Posted on: 2012/11/30 15:01

From NE OH
Neither are vasodilators, so they really don't increase circulation to the skin. In your case Geo...BenGay would be most appropriate Snagger

Posted on: 2012/11/30 18:00

From NE OH
BTW, I am currently working with a compounding pharmacy to develop a cream that has both L-arginase and a calcium channel blocker, nifedipine. This would be a transdermal cream with 2 different vasodilators (that work by 2 different mechanisms of action). This should be of great benefit to those with significant vasospastic disorders. If this is an issue for you, let me know and I can get the info to a foot doc in your area. It should be covered by insurance as well. I have absolutely no financial interest in this. I'm just assisting in the development to help my patients. Trust me...I'm too stupid to make money. My wife will tell you I am very bad about giving everything away. That's why I sold my practice and took a job. I'm too soft.

Posted on: 2012/11/30 18:10

From Mount Joy, PA
Okay. I'll just pop a nitro before I fish then.

Posted on: 2012/11/30 18:32

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com