Coiled Strike Indicator

J

JC333

Does anyone make these ?
I saw one at the Somerset show and tried to make one and it didn't come out as I expected. I'm using 10 lb. Golden Stren, coiling it around a 1/2 inch lag bolt ( about 10 coils ), tying it off with zip ties, boiling it for 5 minutes and freezing overnight.
It isn't coming out very tightly coiled, looks like limp spagetti !!

I must be doing something wrong, any advice ??

Thanks,
New User
JC

Try heavier line. I believe 14lb test or a little heavier is recommended. Or you can furl the 10lb line you have by cutting a 3' section of line, double it up, and starting at the loop end twist both segments of the line in the same direction, working you way down to the end. Tie an overhand knot on the end to prevent it from unfurling. You will end up with a single line furled (twisted) together. Tie a perfection loop on both ends to finish at a 12-14" length. Boil and freeze like you did before. HTH

Here you go
http://www.paflyfish.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4690&forum=7&post_id=44035#forumpost44035

Thanks, I appreciate the input.

I used these last year to fish Sulpher nymphs on slow water. Deadly! When I make the coils, I wrap the mono around a pencil.

PS....I also use red mono at times.

You're coiling it around something that is too big in diameter. Use a pencil, #4 if you wish. Pencil rather than pen bodies won't melt or distort in the boiling water. Other than that you're not doing anything else wrong. My son uses 8 lb test. It works fine. If it still doesn't work get a different Mono.

I recommend using Stren Gold the original stuff if you can find it. Some extremely nice person from this site gave my son enough to be set for life. :-D

I have some heavier mono rolled up in the freezer right now. Just experimenting with 12 and 20 lb. You might be right, I should use something slimmer like a pencil with the 10lb stren. Using a 1/2 inch dowell is probably the problem.

JC333 - another thing that helps is to put the coil/dowel into ice water immediately after boiling for a few minutes. It cools it much faster, and helps the molecules in the mono align to their new configuration. You still have to put it in the freezer overnight when you take it out of the ice water...

Good Suggestion.
Tonight it's the pencil and ice water then the freezer.
Sounds like one hell of a night for me !!!!
Cabin fever is getting the best of me.

Side note,

If you are ever freezing food, placing it in an ice bath first helps from destroying many of the meat fibers that would have otherwise been lacerated by the formation of large ice crystals.

(So chill yoor fish fillets first)

That is a great suggestion. Glad you added it since I'm the venison butcher of the family. Ice crystals lead to freezer burn! Thanks again!

I want to add that it should be in ziploc bags if you put it in an ice bath.

Don't like the ice bath idea... wrap and place on ice in the fridge.

ok. Tried the 10 lb. stren around a "pencil size" dowel.Boiled for about 7 minutes, then in an ice bath, finally to the freezer overnight. So far it's my best result. Since I got a good coil with the 20 lb., I'm going with 15 lb stren since the 20 lb seemd to heavy.
Thanks for the help guys !!

So how do these things behave when setting the hook? Any problems due to the sudden stretch? Any other quirks that come out during use?

Kev

Don't know yet. It's funny I was thinking the same thing. When you follow the fly and go to strike, don't you effectively have approx. 18 inches of slack between you and the fly in the actual coil ??
Many guys swear by this type of strike indicator, so I have to give it a try and see for myself.

The way these indicators work is that when the coils straighten out during the drift, it's either a fish or the bottom. The coils are already straightened out when you set the hook.

The theory is that the stretch in the coils allows the fish to hold the fly without feeling resistance, but the fisherman still gets an indication that something is on the fly, thus allowing him to set the hook (hopefully) before the fish spits the fly.

You have to be able to see the indicator - it's visual strike detection.

Check out this article for more information.

They use them in spanish nymph tech long leader 15 to 30 ft. There used alot in flyfishing compotitions because the use of a indicator is considered illegal. I found this out when they had the world championship on the little "J". I started a thread on fish erie but no one really knew anything about them. That lead me to look at different nymphing tech. orther than "indicator" styles. I started using them because I wanted somethin else to use as a sighter other than a floating indicator for skinny water purposes.

PACOFRANSICO wrote:
They use them in spanish nymph tech long leader 15 to 30 ft. There used alot in flyfishing compotitions because the use of a indicator is considered illegal. I found this out when they had the world championship on the little "J".

Hi PF - Maybe we crossed paths on the J. I was the Sector Judge for the Little J during the World Championships held there. The guys on Team Spain were really cool - they got me hammered on Spanish moonshine at the awards banquet. :-o I still have their team pin and the pin of their national flyfishing organization on my vest.

OK. I moved up from 12 to 15 lb. Used the ice bath first and in the freezer for the night. It work !!
Another note, I discovered that the coiles have to wrapped wery tight anc close ( no spaces ) when wrapping.
All is well now in my world !!
Hoping to get out this weekend and try it out.
Thanks

Try biostrike, its easier and quicker

Back