Best bet for a waterfall

Wildbrowntrout

Wildbrowntrout

I have a very specific situation that I need help figuring out. There's a waterfall on my favorite trout stream plunges about 8-10 feet down, and it created a hole about 10 feet deep underneath it. I need some help on how to get my flies down there, and what flies to use for big browns and brookies. I've been there twice, and both times seeing very nice trout, but I can never catch them unless I go deep. Do I wait for rain and drop a bugger down on a long leader, or just a simple nymph rig will do it?

Getting a good drift with a nymph at the base of a waterfall is very, very tough There are so many complex and ever changing currents created by the water plunging in. The tail out section is much easier to drift but from your description you intend to fish right where it plunges. So I would go with a streamer that has some weight to it. Obviously a little stain to the water would make the fish a little less cautious.

Tough to say without being there, and yeah, it's often a difficult situation.

But, many falls have a back current going around and then behind them. If you cast straight at em, even if your fly hits home, the line is in that heavy stuff and out it goes. Sometimes you can approach from the side, keep the line out of the heavy seam, and that current pins it against the falls face and carries the fly in behind. It can give some linger time to get the depth you need.

If you've been seeing the fish, which way is he facing? In the above scenario it's often sideways if he's up against the cliff face, or even angled downstream if it's to the side in that backline. Remember, it's facing into the current. That tells you where the fly needs to go to drift it to him.

This, though, is usually for true falls with a bit of an overhang. The water plunge is away from the cliff face, creating space behind. If it's not truly vertical and instead just a steep drop with water entering flush to the rock, usually all you can do is fish the margins of the whitewater.

Sink tip line or longer leaders will help the fly sink. I'd start with streamers and then change to a nymph retrived in super slow just to feel the strike.

Due to the currents at the base of those falls your best bet may actually be in low water when the currents are minimal. Try a BIG heavy streamer. My favorite for that type of fishing is a size 2 meat whistle (yes it's actually called that). Use at least 2x with a fly that size though or you are likely to break off whatever nice fish you end up hooking, either because of their teeth or abrasion on rock ledges.

Smash a tuck cast w weight. Some holes maybe just too deep though.

You can catch trout with dry flies in these places. Especially around the edges of the pool. Some will be in the tailout, so cast there first.

After you've either caught or spooked those, then start fishing further up into the pool. You can often catch them on dries along the rocks at the sides of pool. They hide under the rocks and pick off bugs in the drift right along the edge of the rocks.

And also just to the side of the falling water at the top of the pool.

Then switch to a green inchworm, with long tippet, and 2 BB shot.

Be careful casting.

Fishing straight up into the pool, don't just cast into the main current.

Cast to the SIDES, where the current is not as strong and there will be more time for the fly to sink.

Then move up and get alongside the pool and falls. And cast right into the falling water, which will help drive your fly down.

Sink tip line and poly leaders. Find some with high sink rates or a full sink line. I'd try putting. some split shot a foot above a sinking ,tungsten bead,nymph. Fish it like bait. Deep and slow. Just be persistent. GG

Is it where your frozen steam pic is?....I got the solution you just take me and I'll show you ;-)

I guess I'll start out with a weighted streamer. I don't think I'll need a sinking fly line. It is hard to describe what the fall are, just that there is calm water all around it. It still does make contact with the rocks the whole way down, just it carved a very deep hole. I always do like catching fish on dries, just not over deeper water.

Back