HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Wtb sage TCR 790

Looking for a sage tcr 790. Thanks.

Posted on: 2017/11/19 11:02

Re: Wtb sage TCR 790

eBay is the only place I've seen them and they are getting tough to come by.

Why that rod? You have a side porch support that is going bad?

Posted on: 2017/11/20 12:04

Lol. All of my rods are toward the moderate end of the spectrum, I want a fast one to see how much distance I gain and also something with enough balls to throw a heavy sink tip. Mostly swinging big zonkers for steelhead.

If I don't like it I think ill be able to sell it. I'd prefer a Loomis GLX 9'7wt original model but those are hard to find also. The GLX is the best streamer rod for trout I've fished.

Posted on: 2017/11/20 22:51

From The border
Any Interest in a TCR 890?

Posted on: 2017/11/26 12:03

Not at this time, thanks for the offer though.

Posted on: 2017/11/29 9:44

FYI, there is a St. Croix Imperial 9' 8 weight for sale on craigslist. Price is $85. Location is Tobyhanna (NEPA).

Posted on: 12/2 16:56

SPNY-

I am now questioning whether sage even made a TCR 790...

I will take the TCR 890 if its available.

Thanks

Posted on: 12/6 10:53

From Chester County
Quote:

moon1284 wrote:
SPNY-

I am now questioning whether sage even made a TCR 790...

I will take the TCR 890 if its available.

Thanks

Just wondering why you're so locked in to a TCR? Have you ever cast one? I have and I know K-fish Andy has too. See what he has to say....if I'm not mistaken, I believe he bought one and bailed on it soon after. (Went back an read his post.....the rod is supporting his front porch right now, maybe he can find another prop and let you test cast it.)

It's not the most caster-freindly rod in the world, in fact it's probably just the opposite. You really have to work hard to aerialize a whole bunch of line just to get it to load. Sage redesigned the rod to make it more user friendly and called it the TCX.

There are a lot of decent rods out there that can cast a long line well and are a lot more user friendly.

You may want to test cast before you buy....which is true with any rod ...any time, IMO.

Anyway, that's the best info I can give you.

Good luck on your search.

Posted on: 12/6 11:08

Edited by afishinado on 2017/12/6 11:49:06

To be honest I'm not sure why I'm locked on a TCR. I have way more rods right now than I'll ever need. Almost all of my rods are on the moderate side of fast - thinking about it the fastest rod that I own right now is a Sage SP. I guess I just want to try something different.

I'd plan on using the TCR on the rare occasion I use a sink tip on the upper delaware, and also the rare occasion I use a sink tip or shooting head on the Catt. The Sage SP 790 I am currently using is an excellent rod with floating line but not as good with a sink tip or shooting head.

I want to get a faster 7 weight to see what it feels like and I'm assuming the TCR is about as fast as it gets. The rod will be used with size 2 conehead zonkers sometimes on sink tips for steelhead and trout on larger water. If I don't like it, I'll sell it and continue using what I have (or try and find an old Loomis GLX 9' 7 weight, that is a badass streamer rod).

Right now when I throw a sink tip, I use a Scott ARC 1007 because it has more ass than my SP 790. I don't like using a 10' rod from a boat though.

I have never cast a TCR before. I remember when it came out there was a lot of hype about it and at the time I did not have the money to buy one.

Posted on: 12/6 13:19

From Chester County
Quote:

moon1284 wrote:
To be honest I'm not sure why I'm locked on a TCR. I have way more rods right now than I'll ever need. Almost all of my rods are on the moderate side of fast - thinking about it the fastest rod that I own right now is a Sage SP. I guess I just want to try something different.

I'd plan on using the TCR on the rare occasion I use a sink tip on the upper delaware, and also the rare occasion I use a sink tip or shooting head on the Catt. The Sage SP 790 I am currently using is an excellent rod with floating line but not as good with a sink tip or shooting head.

I want to get a faster 7 weight to see what it feels like and I'm assuming the TCR is about as fast as it gets. The rod will be used with size 2 conehead zonkers sometimes on sink tips for steelhead and trout on larger water. If I don't like it, I'll sell it and continue using what I have (or try and find an old Loomis GLX 9' 7 weight, that is a badass streamer rod).

Right now when I throw a sink tip, I use a Scott ARC 1007 because it has more ass than my SP 790. I don't like using a 10' rod from a boat though.

I have never cast a TCR before. I remember when it came out there was a lot of hype about it and at the time I did not have the money to buy one.

Got it. I have a an old SP in a lighter weight. It's not really a fast rod at all, especially by today's standards. If you looking for an older model fast-action Sage rod the XP is a classic fast rod. I have one of those too, and still bring it out on occasion.

No one has enough rods!....lol. My only advise is to test cast a few fast-action rods before you plunk down any amount of cash, I know that's easier said than done with used rods, but since most of the rods you own are not really that fast; try casting one before you buy, just to see if it's what you need (maybe "want" is a better word)...

Posted on: 12/6 14:43

I hear ya. Looking at ebay, my thoughts are if I hate the TCR I can sell it and not take too big of a hit.

Most of my rods are Scott Gs and I have SPs in 5,6, and 7 weights. I probably fish the delaware more than anywhere else. But living very close to good steelhead water I fish steelhead quite a bit from September to January. I always have a Scott G906 and the 790 in the boat. The third rod changes on my mood, usually either another G906, an old TNT firehole 906, a G905, or a fisher 904 is the third rod. Its definitely overkill having that many rods in the boat but it makes me feel like less of a hoarder if I use the rods.

Thinking about it, I have (1) 3 weight, (3) 4 weights, (5) 5 weights, (8) 6 weights - 5 are 9' 6 weights, (3) 7 weights no 8 weights, (1) 9 weight and (1) 10 weight. Plus a 2 handed 7 weight.

All of my rods are old, I'm almost scared to cast a H3, X, or New G Series because replacing all of those rods with new ones will cost as much (or more) than a new drift boat...

Posted on: 12/6 15:44

From Erie Co.
Sage XP sounds like what you want. They came in 2pc or 4pc and should coast you $300 on e-*ay.

Posted on: 12/6 16:46

Yes, I'd take an xp for around 300. I'd prefer a GLX to an xp however.

Posted on: 12/6 21:17

moon,

I've owned both TCR and TCX models. I'm fairly handy at casting, like a fast rod and considered both to be not useable for 99% of fishing applications. It's like having a 50" driver with 4 degrees of loft. Maybe you can get it in the air but not the most practical thing to have.

If you are looking for an older / vintage type that's still pretty stiff.....yet fishable, you may want to try an RPL+, XP or an old Orvis T3 In newer releases, maybe a Zenith. If you don't mind going budget.... TFO BVK or Redington Link. <--- have cast both and they were quite good.... little tip heavy if not balanced correctly but still good. Buelah and Douglas also make some pretty fast stuff at a moderate price point.

For streamers on sink tips, I have an old original Echo saltwater 7wt and T3 tip flex 7wt. Redington replaced my CPX with a Link and I really like it for throwing ridiculous nymph rigs from the boat or smaller (standard) streamers.

Posted on: 12/7 0:40

The other one you can find on closeout currently..... TFO TiCrX

Posted on: 12/7 7:25

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

USGS Water Levels
The New Keystone Fly Fishing Book
Polls
Where do you most want to fly fish outside the region?
Western US 39% (31)
Alaska 10% (8)
New Zealand 32% (26)
Florida Keys 3% (3)
South America 6% (5)
Elsewhere 7% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2018/3/17 12:44
6 Comments

Copyright 2018 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com