Websites for used gear?

D

DavidFin

Any good sites you may recommend for used gear? I posted this one earlier in the week: http://www.farmingtonriver.com/used-rods-reels/?sort=pricedesc

Here's another decent one: http://www.tightlinesflyfishing.com/store/c48/Pre-owned%2C_Discontinued_%26_Collectable.html

Those are the closest to our area and probably your best chance of locating a deal. You have other shops that sell trade in gear like Caddis Fly Shop, Platte River, Wyoming Fly Shop, Lealand Outfitters, etc. In my experience, these shops tend to be out of line with their pricing ($499 for used Scott S4, $550 for used Z-axis, etc).

Tradenstuff has a good selection but like the others the prices are high.

Have you bought stuff off of tradenstuff? That site looks so sketchy

Looked but didn't buy because I felt the prices were out of line. I wouldn't say the site is sketchy....just non-tech savvy. Almost like a spreadsheet online.

The prices aren't great for most of the stuff, but it's cool that theres a place where you can get older models at the drop of a hat.

I have bought spare spools from him and he stands behind what he sells. Prices are a little high but so are some of the prices I've seen for old stock rods and reels.

I biught my Scott Radian off of Tradenstuff. It was 450 and barely used, so i grabbed it. Very easy to deal with, and he does stand by what he sells.

That's awesome! Hopefully you'll never have to send it back, Scott screwed me big time for sending back a used rod. Really terrible experience because I really love their rods.

Scott has been great for me. I think their prices just went up this year for warranty. Either way $60 to repair a rod is cheap considering that Scott rebuilds the sections from scratch. I think Scott's service is great.

I've sent back rods I've bought both new and used the price was always the same. The warranty is the reason there are $700 rods, and when you buy a used one it should be accepted that part of the reason its cheaper is that it doesn't come with the same warranty a new one would have.

I guess if you send back a lower model rod, (A series or equivalent), it can be tough to swallow when you can get a "new" used one for under 200 bucks.

I sent a Radian back and was up front about it being used. They charged me for a new section but it was clear that they just fixed the original one, which was fine except that they charged me for the full piece. When I asked about it they were short with me and refused to talk about it only saying I could send it back again. The situation rubbed me the wrong way because it was really obvious that a repair was done and they were hoping I wouldn't notice, which just plain sucks.

That sucks.

Are you talking about a break about an inch or so from the tip top?

I sent a singlehand steelhead rod to get repaired that has been out of production for 10+ years. I had already sent the rod in before for a break in the 3rd section and I got a total replacement. The second time I sent it in, I broke about 1/2" off the tip during freezing weather. When I got it back, I think they re-used the blank section that I shipped them (It's still a little short).

What I think they did do was take off all of the guides on that section and re wrap them. I know this because the spacing was different and there was one less guide than original. The guides were also a little larger than original. I also think they re-did the spigot ferrule on the 3rd section. At first, I was pissed, but I fished the rod and afterwards decided not to contact them.

To be honest I like it more than the original, so I have no complaints, but it does look weird. That rod had been (and still is) fished very hard. I have sent other rods in that they had replaced the entire section on, so I just chalked it up to a judgment call on Scott's part.

Yea, actually, my break was at the very bottom of the section and they refinished it. It fishes great, don't get me wrong, I just felt like the way they approached it was lame. I'm a salesman and deal with a lot of customer service issues first hand, so I speak from experience. I wouldn't expect a customer to buy from me again if I operated like that. Lucky for them they make a great rod.

Got ya. Can't blame you for that.

Well ya gotta think, if you break the rod but bought it 300$ cheaper than a new one, by the time they charge you for the repair it will probably still be cheaper than buying a new one.

Back