Wtb sage TCR 790

M

moon1284

Looking for a sage tcr 790. Thanks.

eBay is the only place I've seen them and they are getting tough to come by.

Why that rod? You have a side porch support that is going bad?

Lol. All of my rods are toward the moderate end of the spectrum, I want a fast one to see how much distance I gain and also something with enough balls to throw a heavy sink tip. Mostly swinging big zonkers for steelhead.

If I don't like it I think ill be able to sell it. I'd prefer a Loomis GLX 9'7wt original model but those are hard to find also. The GLX is the best streamer rod for trout I've fished.

Any Interest in a TCR 890?

Not at this time, thanks for the offer though.

FYI, there is a St. Croix Imperial 9' 8 weight for sale on craigslist. Price is $85. Location is Tobyhanna (NEPA).

SPNY-

I am now questioning whether sage even made a TCR 790...

I will take the TCR 890 if its available.

Thanks

moon1284 wrote:
SPNY-

I am now questioning whether sage even made a TCR 790...

I will take the TCR 890 if its available.

Thanks

Just wondering why you're so locked in to a TCR? Have you ever cast one? I have and I know K-fish Andy has too. See what he has to say....if I'm not mistaken, I believe he bought one and bailed on it soon after. (Went back an read his post.....the rod is supporting his front porch right now, maybe he can find another prop and let you test cast it.)

It's not the most caster-freindly rod in the world, in fact it's probably just the opposite. You really have to work hard to aerialize a whole bunch of line just to get it to load. Sage redesigned the rod to make it more user friendly and called it the TCX.

There are a lot of decent rods out there that can cast a long line well and are a lot more user friendly.

You may want to test cast before you buy....which is true with any rod ...any time, IMO.

Anyway, that's the best info I can give you.

Good luck on your search.

To be honest I'm not sure why I'm locked on a TCR. I have way more rods right now than I'll ever need. Almost all of my rods are on the moderate side of fast - thinking about it the fastest rod that I own right now is a Sage SP. I guess I just want to try something different.

I'd plan on using the TCR on the rare occasion I use a sink tip on the upper delaware, and also the rare occasion I use a sink tip or shooting head on the Catt. The Sage SP 790 I am currently using is an excellent rod with floating line but not as good with a sink tip or shooting head.

I want to get a faster 7 weight to see what it feels like and I'm assuming the TCR is about as fast as it gets. The rod will be used with size 2 conehead zonkers sometimes on sink tips for steelhead and trout on larger water. If I don't like it, I'll sell it and continue using what I have (or try and find an old Loomis GLX 9' 7 weight, that is a badass streamer rod).

Right now when I throw a sink tip, I use a Scott ARC 1007 because it has more *** than my SP 790. I don't like using a 10' rod from a boat though.

I have never cast a TCR before. I remember when it came out there was a lot of hype about it and at the time I did not have the money to buy one.

moon1284 wrote:
To be honest I'm not sure why I'm locked on a TCR. I have way more rods right now than I'll ever need. Almost all of my rods are on the moderate side of fast - thinking about it the fastest rod that I own right now is a Sage SP. I guess I just want to try something different.

I'd plan on using the TCR on the rare occasion I use a sink tip on the upper delaware, and also the rare occasion I use a sink tip or shooting head on the Catt. The Sage SP 790 I am currently using is an excellent rod with floating line but not as good with a sink tip or shooting head.

I want to get a faster 7 weight to see what it feels like and I'm assuming the TCR is about as fast as it gets. The rod will be used with size 2 conehead zonkers sometimes on sink tips for steelhead and trout on larger water. If I don't like it, I'll sell it and continue using what I have (or try and find an old Loomis GLX 9' 7 weight, that is a badass streamer rod).

Right now when I throw a sink tip, I use a Scott ARC 1007 because it has more *** than my SP 790. I don't like using a 10' rod from a boat though.

I have never cast a TCR before. I remember when it came out there was a lot of hype about it and at the time I did not have the money to buy one.

Got it. I have a an old SP in a lighter weight. It's not really a fast rod at all, especially by today's standards. If you looking for an older model fast-action Sage rod the XP is a classic fast rod. I have one of those too, and still bring it out on occasion.

No one has enough rods!....lol. My only advise is to test cast a few fast-action rods before you plunk down any amount of cash, I know that's easier said than done with used rods, but since most of the rods you own are not really that fast; try casting one before you buy, just to see if it's what you need (maybe "want" is a better word)... :)

I hear ya. Looking at ebay, my thoughts are if I hate the TCR I can sell it and not take too big of a hit.

Most of my rods are Scott Gs and I have SPs in 5,6, and 7 weights. I probably fish the delaware more than anywhere else. But living very close to good steelhead water I fish steelhead quite a bit from September to January. I always have a Scott G906 and the 790 in the boat. The third rod changes on my mood, usually either another G906, an old TNT firehole 906, a G905, or a fisher 904 is the third rod. Its definitely overkill having that many rods in the boat but it makes me feel like less of a hoarder if I use the rods.

Thinking about it, I have (1) 3 weight, (3) 4 weights, (5) 5 weights, (8) 6 weights - 5 are 9' 6 weights, (3) 7 weights no 8 weights, (1) 9 weight and (1) 10 weight. Plus a 2 handed 7 weight.

All of my rods are old, I'm almost scared to cast a H3, X, or New G Series because replacing all of those rods with new ones will cost as much (or more) than a new drift boat...

Sage XP sounds like what you want. They came in 2pc or 4pc and should coast you $300 on e-*ay.

Yes, I'd take an xp for around 300. I'd prefer a GLX to an xp however.

moon,

I've owned both TCR and TCX models. I'm fairly handy at casting, like a fast rod and considered both to be not useable for 99% of fishing applications. It's like having a 50" driver with 4 degrees of loft. Maybe you can get it in the air but not the most practical thing to have.

If you are looking for an older / vintage type that's still pretty stiff.....yet fishable, you may want to try an RPL+, XP or an old Orvis T3 In newer releases, maybe a Zenith. If you don't mind going budget.... TFO BVK or Redington Link.

The other one you can find on closeout currently..... TFO TiCrX

Got ya, thanks. Have you cast a method? I've casted (not fished) that rod and it was a cannon. I'd get one but I don't want to drop that kind of dough. I'm considering rpl+ and sp+.

I'd consider an xp but I'd get a GLX before the xp. I can't say enough about the GLX. I was messing around with it and tossing a weighted cokehead zonker into the backing relatively easy (something I can't do with my sp).

Like I said I really don't need a rod, what I have works fine I'm just looking to fine tune and I want to step way out of my comfort zone which is on the slower side of the spectrum.

I'm a fan of slower rods because i think they are pretty accurate and they protect light tipper very well. They aren't the best tool for quick shots and I think a fast actioned rod will be a better tool for streamers. I don't see myself getting away from the slower rods for dry fly fishing anytime soon. Streamers are a different story. As far as nymphs, I just don't use them lol. The closest I come is dry dropper.

I ended up getting an edge gamma beta 9' 7wt. The TFO website has them on sale. I hardly ever buy rods new but the price was right. Looking forward to receiving it.

Thanks for the help

Back