Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

ordered two Thomas Ames books

As if I need any more books, but I have been reading a lot of Thomas Ames in the ff magazines lately, and he seems to be pretty well up on flies. So, I ordered--well, I had my wife order them since I'm too dumb to order online--Ames's Caddisflies and Fishflies. If the books are as good as his articles, then it should be money well spent.

Posted on: 2009/4/6 10:06

Re: ordered two Thomas Ames books

From aliquippa
i got the caddisflies book about a week ago, the book is really good, andf there are lots of pictures the one thing i like is he has pictures showing the underside of the fly

Posted on: 2009/4/6 10:32

Might have to check those out.

Posted on: 2009/4/6 10:47

I received and read the first of the two Ames books, "Fishbugs." It is an absolutely beautiful book; the photography of the insects included in it is amazing. That my wife found it for only 15 dollars is a bonus, too.
This book is not, however, one that will actually lead you through the hatches. It does kind of generalize the order of appearance of the flies; but at least in my area, the order is somewhat different. Missing entirely is perhaps the most prolific hatch of all: E. invaria, the "big" sulphur. Ames does not tell the size of the flies either so that a tier-flyrodder might benefit. But, Ames does not really claim this to be a streamside guide for matching hatches and tying the flies that match the real ones.
The book is really a wonderful display of the beauty of the flies that Ames has photographed. If you're looking for a book that shows the beauty and the characteristics of various flies w/o telling you how big they are (you can find this information in a lot of other places), "Fishbugs" is a lovely book.

Posted on: 2009/4/12 13:15

I finally finished plowing my way through Ames's "Caddisflies" last night (I was on babysitting detail and couldn't go fishing). It is a wonderful reference book/textbook with marvelous photographs. However, I cannot imagine its helping my fly-fishing very much. I think a book about caddisflies that is set up like Ted Fauceglia's "Mayflies" would be much more helpful, at least to me. I did my college textbook reading more than 40 years ago, and I cannot say I enjoyed reading the Ames text. Having said that, I am amazed by his vast wealth of knowledge about the caddisflies. However, his information about grannoms is much different from what I have observed about them over the past couple of years. Anyhow, if you have an extra 40 bucks and want to buy a reference book about caddisflies that contains wonderful pics, then the Ames book is one to add to your library. The scope of his knowledge is amazing.

Posted on: 2009/5/16 9:51

Please do not think I am dissing the Ames book "Caddisflies." It is a wonderful reference book. I just think the amount of information for fly-fishermen, at least for me, is overwhelming. I can only imagine fishing with someone as knowledgeable as Ames: It would really be something to possess only a portion of the information that he does. To an old fart like me, the book is, as I have said, overwhelming. You young lions can undoubtedly profit greatly from the vast amount of information in "Caddisflies." Maybe if I use the book correctly, I can catch and release a few more fish, too. If I were young, I would make sure I added this book to my fly-fishing library.

Posted on: 2009/5/16 19:07

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com