magazines

thetonyage

thetonyage

Do any of you guys subscribe to any fly fishing/tying magazines? If so, what ones and what do you think of them? Worth reading or not?

Over the years I have subscribed to many magazines on many topics including fly fishing. All were worth reading, but I have always found that after a year or so...things start repeating, maybe new pictures or a new title but the content is pretty much the same.

With that said, I love getting periodicals about my favorite subjects, no better way to immerse yourself into a subject or topic.

I subscribe to a bunch of them. I am going to let my subscriptions to Gray's Sporting Journal, Fly Fisherman, and, reluctantly, to American Angler expire b/c they tacitly support the Homewaters (aka. Spring Ridge) Club by buying photos from Barry and Cathy Beck, who support that club that actively seeks to remove privately owned water from public access. However, The Drake, which is a pretty gonzo look at fly-fishing and is obviously geared to an audience younger than I am, is interesting and well worth the $18 per year. Also, Frank Amato's Fly Fishing and Tying Journal is well worth reading. Neither of these last two has sold out to Homewaters (aka the evil empire) to my knowledge. I recommend both of these to you. Of the first three, if you are not bothered by the Becks' photos appearances, American Angler is still a good ff magazine.

Tonyage,
I'm inclined to agree with Boone that the material becomes redundant with time. Rrt is right about The Drake - at first I didn't like this magazine as I felt it tried too hard to be edgy and cool but, it seems to me, the magazine has improved a good bit in the last couple years.
I currently subscribe (I think) to American Angler, Fly Fisherman, FFing in Saltwater, Gray's Sporting Journal, Sporting Classics (Grays and SC aren't exclusively FFing and include spin fishing, hunting etc), FFing and Fly Tying Journal, Eastern FFing, Fish and Fly, Mid Atlantic FFisherman.....and maybe a couple others. They're all good. Buy a few off the rack and give 'em a read. I'll usually let subscriptions run out and try something different for awhile and then go back. I've subscribed to Fly Fishermen pretty consistently for about 30 years (I think this magazine has seen better days). I love FFing magazines and regard them as a significant part of the sport for me.

I will have to give The Drake another go. I felt like it was pandering way too much the few times I've picked it up, though it did somewhat compensate with good photography. Perhaps I've been negatively swayed by the "smoking in the boys room" style of the drake forums, which is even too much for me, and should give it another read.

Grays Sporting Journal - diverse subject matter & written at level beyond 4th grade

Fly Rod & Reel - because of Gierach

The Drake - not like all the others

Mid-Atlantic fly fisherman, good articles and lots of hatch charts for numerous areas.

Fly Fisherman isn't bad, the recent issue with Rene Harrop on the front is a pretty good issue.

Fly Tyer is the only one I still subscribe to. It was a great read back when Art Scheck was editor, but has gone into serious decline since, focusing too much, it seems to me, on realism, gimmickry and salt-water patterns. Back in the day, I considered the contributions by John Betts worth more than the price of the magazine. Alas, Betts has long since disappeared from the popular press. However, with the latest number, Fly Tyer has redeemed itself by publishing an article on the Flies of Charles Cotton. I wish they would do more in this vein.

I subscribe to Fly Tyer and American Angler. I like both.

The Drake, fly fish journal, and Hatches

all great... FFJ is a bit spendy though

Back